1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone will post some pictures, as I was far too busy running drills and the range to take pictures (as usual). My two primary RSO's were indispensable in all the help setting up the drills and proper targets, cleaning up the range each day, policing brass, etc.

We ran a LOT of drills every day. There were some last-minute cancellations due to work related issues, so each day we had 9 shooters, but the last day (Friday) was only 7 shooters. We averaged around 250 to 275 rounds each day each shooter.

We ran Wizard drills, Tueller drills, Mozambique drills, Bill's warm-up drill multiple times, El Pres, Demi El Pres, my new RACS drill a few times, 1 to 5 drills, Letts drills, a bunch of improvised fun drills, etc. during the week. We had a lot of fun, drank a lot of water each day to stay hydrated in the heat, but by end of the week, considering the heat and several days of shooting, knocked off a little early on Friday.

The first three days our normal breakfast place was not open, so the other places didn't open until 8 AM. Monday we got Mickey D's to go, Tuesday was Sonic breakfast burritos to go, and ate at the range. Got set up most days about 8:30 and shot until 2:30 or 3:00. We also started a few days with early dedication shoots for slow-fire groups to dedicate at least one drill per day to those who were unable to make the trip. Had plenty of fun visiting each night at the infamous picnic tables.

·
Premium Member
12,933 Posts
Sounds awesome Folks...Glad you all enjoyed and stayed safe....Was this a year you shot with Bill and Friends? If I recall this happens every other year?

·
Super Moderator
14,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds awesome Folks...Glad you all enjoyed and stayed safe....Was this a year you shot with Bill and Friends? If I recall this happens every other year?
It was supposed to be this year, but due to Covid they had to postpone to next year.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I do want to thank Roger (and brother Gary) for making all the arrangements, planning the drills, etc. He does a great job at these types of outings. Y’all would be remiss if you didn’t take advantage of Roger’s generosity.

·
Premium Member
5,183 Posts
Anyone get to shoot a 9s? If you did, whats your hand size/glove?

Thanks,

Jerry
Striker allowed us all to shoot his. I have large but skinny hands and it shot just fine. Pretty darn impressed with the gun.

My only issue is that it does not fit my carry needs as on the rare occasions that I don’t carry a 4” or larger gun I want a rather small gun to carry, think Sig P238. For my needs I would not pick the 9S over a 4” gun. But again, that is just me.

If I carried a gun like the Sig P938 or Kimber micro. I’d order and switch without hesitation to the X9S.

·
Registered
63 Posts
David, how would you compare shooting the X9s to your X9? I have read contradicting reports on their similarity.

·
Premium Member
5,183 Posts
I could tell the difference but not any more than one would expect between the standard and S. I did shoot my own reloads through it and am comparing how my X9 behaves with those when comparing that to the X9S. I did shoot some factory rounds and it was still pleasant but I did not shoot any self defense loads. Found the recoil to be much nicer than a Kimber Micro 9.

Again, an excellent gun in my opinion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for your feedback. I have an s on order and as long as it takes to get one in, it allows time for some second thoughts. I really like my X9, but wanted one a little smaller for those times when a smaller gun is more practical.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Dave......Thanks for the reply. I want to retire my old Walther for summer carry which has served me well for 35+ years. Also, want to more or less standardize to one caliber (9mm). Also increase the round count in these scary times.I have carried the X9L on a number of occasions (IWB) and it works till I need to sit down sometimes. A lost of 20 pounds would work - LOL!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Just to throw in my perceptions of the “s” - due to the short frame, on my initial grip, I had my right thumb on the underside of the thumb safety, feeling that I needed a stronger grip. The frame edge under the thumb safety bit into the webbing at the base of my thumb. That hurt a tad.

Afterwards, I went with the traditional high thumb, resting on/next to the thumb safety. No issues. It shoots well and is controllable. It’s just not a handgun I immediately wanted as my own. For the difference in size, I think I’m happy with the X9-no letter.

Thanks to Striker for letting us shoot his. It saved me a few shillings.

To be fair, Striker brought a couple of other subcompacts - I didn’t particularly care for them either :)

·
Registered
758 Posts
One of the participants brought a handgun with a design of “cross-hatching” on the slide release. I really liked that as a tactile confirmation/reminder that my weak hand was properly placed. Cool idea.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was really glad to be able to shoot the X9s (thanks again Striker). For me personally, I did like it, but not to the extent that I had to go and order it. You do have to be very mindful of your grip/thumb placement to avoid getting that bite. Overall it shot well and can be easily controlled for being a smaller gun size. At the end of the day it will not be my next carry gun.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Not sure which route I will go. Really want the higher round count as a #1. After that I can be flexible. There is a shop/range here with more inventory then a big box store and carry everything from A-Z with low and high end stuff. Was hoping they would get one in. Just need some patience.

·
Super Moderator
14,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies. Not sure which route I will go. Really want the higher round count as a #1. After that I can be flexible. There is a shop/range here with more inventory then a big box store and carry everything from A-Z with low and high end stuff. Was hoping they would get one in. Just need some patience.
In this case I think patience is a virtue. Thanks to Striker, I was also able to shoot the X9s and as soon as I held it I knew I had to go back to a revolver-type grip (think modified "teacup") to make the gun comfortable to shoot. As mentioned above, the edge of the frame right at the thumb safety makes it uncomfortable to use high thumb with the right hand, so I held it where my right thumb was low (comparatively) and on the grip panel instead of by the safety - no discomfort. However, I will say that I think this model is a gun that is fine for carry if you have a usage role that it fills specifically, which perhaps a lot of folks do. If that's the case, it's a fine gun for that. I have no usage role that needs that size gun, so although it's a nice gun, I do not have a need for it and won't be getting one right away.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Does this recent Bash mark the first time in the Bash’s history, that cameras weren’t allowed?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Cameras were in fact allowed and pictures were taken by some participants, just not yet posted. To be truthful, people were having so much fun and getting so engaged that we didn't even think about taking them until like Day #4 :)

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
As above it was a fantastic time and we haven't gotten around to pictures just yet lol, I'll find time to make a post soon but I'm sort summary it was a wonderful one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts