1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase my first 1911 pistol and I don't know which manufacturer to get it from. I really liked the style and simplicity of the colt gold cup trophy but since I live in California I can't purchase that model. This gun is going to be used for home defense but will also be at the range a lot. What are some suggestions of similar models like the gold and reasons why I should purchase those, other then the fact that I am limited to specific 1911s.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Actually , there are so many.

If you like the Gold Cup, then you could get a Colt XSE 5" in stainless.

It really depends on you're price point. Based on it likely being your "be all , do all 1911 " I would say you can't go wrong with any of the Les Baer line, and the basic Premier II would meet all of your needs.

(Plus the fact the Les has 10 approved models and doesn't drop any deserves payback as some companies have given up on CA)

·
Premium Member
14,637 Posts
I want to purchase my first 1911 pistol and I don't know which manufacturer to get it from. I really liked the style and simplicity of the colt gold cup trophy but since I live in California I can't purchase that model. This gun is going to be used for home defense but will also be at the range a lot. What are some suggestions of similar models like the gold and reasons why I should purchase those, other then the fact that I am limited to specific 1911s.
You can purchase any model if from a private party, certified or not. If only new from a dealer then from the certified list of 1317 total hand guns.

LOG

·
Registered
377 Posts
TRS, FTW !!!:rock:

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Check out Les Baer Custom. They have some specifically for CA.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
If you don't want a raised rib get a Les Baer. It costs more than the Colt but you will be surprised at how accurate it is.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
I was lucky, my local gun shop had one on consignment for $1500 (I know that sounds like a lot but I saved for a long time to get it) and when it appeared I snapped it up. Just good timing, I guess.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you don't want a raised rib get a Les Baer. It costs more than the Colt but you will be surprised at how accurate it is.
I have a Colt and a Baer, I want another Baer, they are worth every penny IMO.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My vote would be for a SA TRP full rail operator. It is CA approved and it is an awesome 1911, if you can find one. They still make them in batches a couple times a year, according to Springfield. I know, because I bought 2 new ones back in Sept. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
The least expensive "best 1911.45 allowed in CA" is probably a Les Baer. I own 8 Wilsons and personally prefer them but I also own three LBs.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thank god I don't live in Kalifornia anymore. It is unfathomable that a Gold Cup is not approved for sale as a new firearm.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Living in Kalifornia I have had to pass on many 1911's I have wanted.
I currently own Wilson, Baer, Springfeild and Kimbers.
For the price Kimber can not be beat. For home defense and range use I would consider a Kimber TLE. Excellent pistol for the price. I currently own two TLE's. I would love to buy the 4", but not on the list.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You did not mention budget. if you got $2,500 + to spend, get either wilson, nighhawk or EB.

if it is closer to $1,700 go with either Baer or SA TRP.

If its closer to $1,200 or less, I i would (and I did) get a Dan Wesson.

At the $800 price point, SA would be the best choice

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
"Approved for sale"...Consider used. Considering this economy you probably have the pick of the litter.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Of the "non-custom" type I'd say go with the Dan Wesson. I have the CBOB and the PM 7 and think they are very well made. All steel and wood, no MIM that I know of (almost no MIM?) and tightly put together. I think if you pick one up you'll be happy with it, they're both CA approved.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts