1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Administrator
72,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished watching The Thin Red Line. While it isn't the best war movie out there (the psychotic flashbacks kept getting on my nerves), there were lots of scenes with 1911s in it. The one soldier who swiped a holstered M1911A1 early in the film later used it to save his butt, and other soldiers fought with theirs as well. Then there is Saving Private Ryan, Last Man Standing, Way of the Gun, and others. In A Bridge Too Far who can forget James Caan pointing his .45 at the doctor, forcing him to check if his friend was still alive?

Any other significant ones worth watching?

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 10-27-2001).]

·
Registered
783 Posts
Although a TV show and not a movie, I watched Nash Bridges tonight, which I rarely ever do. I noticed Don Johnson sporting what appeared to be a stainless or nickel 1911.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Robert DeNiro in Ronin...

------------------
"That's all we expect of man, this side the grave: his good is - knowing he is bad"

- Robert Browning -

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Nick Nolte in EXTREME PREJUDICE shoots his 1911 (or Commander depending on the scene) dry and reloads from slide lock back. No 40-11 round magazines either.
The remake of THE GETAWAY has the female lead reloading magazines from a box of ammo so she can reload her 1911 to take out a bad guy.

Most of Steven Segal's movies have a lot of 1911 work. A lot of 40-11 round magazines in some too.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
589 Posts
Nick Nolte used a 1911 in "48 Hours". The bad guy took his 44 magnum. He replaced that gun with the 1911. Used it a bit in the end. It was cool.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Kevin Costner gave the 1911 a lot of screen time in "The Untouchables". Of course he seemed to prefer using it after his Model 12 had been shot dry.

On the other side of the law Joe Pesci used one in "Goodfellas" to kill the waiter (I think his name was Spider) who backsassed him while he was playing cards. This was the scene in that picture which, to me anyways, showed just how ruthless and vilolent mobsters really are.

------------------
What I want most from the government is to be left alone. GWT

[This message has been edited by Gary W Trott (edited 10-27-2001).]

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
The original movie, The Getaway - with Steve McQueen. Lots of good gunplay, inc. 1911 in that film.

I thought one of the best part though was that one second "lull" - the point when he was coming down the hotel stairs and met eyes with the mob boys down in the lobby.

Slim Pickens good as ever, even in a short minor role.

Nice one by Sam Peckinpah

·
Registered
466 Posts
"Way of the Gun" is the best depiction of the 1911 in film I've ever seen.
It's at Blockbuster. Check it out!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Then of course there was Bruce Willis using a 1911 in each hand (double shoulder holster)in the movie "Last Man Standing". Willis had more 1911 magazines than the U.S. armory.

MadDog

·
Registered
91 Posts
The Steve Mcqueen bounty hunter movie is called "The Hunter" w/Steve portraying Ralph "Papa" Thorson. "Thief" with James Caan is another good movie with 1911 scenes.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I'm a personal fan of Steven Seagal. All of his movies as far as I know have him armed with a 1911 of some sort, Including the new movie, Exit Wounds.

------------------
"Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973

[This message has been edited by Kimber45 (edited 10-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Originally posted by dsk:
I just finished watching The Thin Red Line. While it isn't the best war movie out there (the psychotic flashbacks kept getting on my nerves), there were lots of scenes with 1911s in it.
I know I'm in the minority here, but I absolutely love "The Thin Red Line." I think it is one of the greatest WWII films of all time, and WWII films are a passion of mine. The music and cinematography are spectacular, and there are some really terrific performances by the cast. And of course, I love the scene you described with the 1911.

As for other 1911 movies: I noticed that Benicio del Toro and the other Mexican cops carried 1911s in "Traffic".

[This message has been edited by GI-45 (edited 10-27-2001).]

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Oooppsss,
,,,Don't forget THE WILD BUNCH. lotsa good 1911 stuff there.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also thought 'Last Man Standing' was a decent 1911. Wasn't Al Pacino using one with ivory grips in 'Heat'? Also, not a movie, but I used to remember two TV shoes which featured 1911's - Magnum PI and Mike Hammer (Stacy Keach's version).

·
Registered
27 Posts
right, for 1911 play , you cant beat last man standing, the get away with alec baldwin had some nice .45s too, but my favs are thge Segal movies, glimmer man was one of the best, and pacino did have a comander with pearl /ivory grips.

·
Registered
95 Posts
THen there's Slyvester Stallon in Cobra. His was with a cobra engraved in ivory grips.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nicholas Cage used twin gold plated Springfields in a custom, double carry, behind the back holster in Faceoff if I recall correctly. I seem to remember an article about them some time ago. I can't remember the name of the holster however.

Shooter Ready?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.