1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for the best .22LR for competition that will feed cheap .22LR ammo. Since the holidays started CCI has disappeared. I'm interested in finding the one pistol that will be super reliable and give me no grief no matter what .22LR ammo I feed it. I have looked at the Ruger, Browning Buckmark, Beretta Neos and Colt Government model 1911. This colt has Walther on it too.

At local competitions one guy uses a Ruger Mark III and another guy has a Buckmark. Both guys have mentioned their gun likes CCI best. I have seen both not feed during a stage so....I am hesitant on choosing either.

I have a Browning 1911-22 Compact that feeds all ammo and does not give me any problems whatsoever. Super reliable and very light. It did well on two local practice days. If I can't find anything that will perform as it does I may decide to use it. Getting tired of converting my carry gun to .22LR all the time plus I wouldn't mind giving it a try in the center-fire division. I could enter a .22LR pistol plus my carry at local competitions.

:)

·
Super Moderator
7,807 Posts
The buckmark is a solid choice. I have one that runs 99.9% on Federal bulk pack.

Also a good choice is a Ruger Mk III lite.

I like my M&P 22 as it is really light and has a fairly decent trigger.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info, you mentioned one thing I forgot to add. I would like a light trigger with no more then 4lbs pull weight since I am used to 3-4 lbs.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Ruger 22/45 Mark III. I have one and love the danged thing. I recommend doing some trigger work, though, they can have some pretty creepy triggers. The first upgrade I did on mine was to remove the stupid magazine disconnect feature and replace the whole thing with a match grade hammer bushing. Instant improvement and probably necessary for quicker reloads during steel match competition. They are typically super reliable and if not, Ruger will usually fix it for FREE. Magazines are only $20 a pop. I have well over 3000 rounds through mine and can count the number of stovepipes on two hands. It lives in my pack now. I used to carry it all the time as it was the only pistol I owned for a while.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've had acceptable luck running a Nighthawk branded Marvell top end on standard velocity ammo rather than mini-mags. It cycles fine. It does like the ammo to have a hard-ish crimp though and accuracy will suffer if the bullets are loosened during chambering.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The Colt will run anything you feed it. As far as the trigger, it is a 1911 and you can go as light as you want. get the rail version and add a red dot if you want.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Best? Probably a custom job. I see a couple of different routes people have taken at Steel Challenge matches in my area.

Option 1. Start with a Ruger 22/45 Mark III or Browning Buckmark and replace the trigger with a Volquartsen and get a TacSol top end for it. Probably looking at $700-800 by the time you buy the base gun and all the aftermarket go-fast parts. Mags are affordable.

Option 2. Get a good quality .22 conversion (Marvel Unit 1, Nelson Custom, TacSol 2211) and use that in conjunction with your existing 1911 frame. Advantage here is you get to use the same frame and trigger that you are used to. Accuracy is as good or better than the Ruger or Buckmark option. Total cost, you're probably looking at about the same price (not including the 1911 frame). Mags range in price from $30 GSG mags to $60 for other brands.

Unless you get lucky, both options may require some tuning to get them to run 100%. Then again, based on what I see of stock rimfire guns, many of those also need tuning as well... or at least some experimenting with different brands of ammo.

I did #2 with a 1911 frame and a Marvel Unit 1. The only real issues I had in the beginning were not with the gun but getting the mags to feed reliably. It now runs 100% and feeds all types of ammo from bulk packs of Remington, Federal etc... (whatever I can get) and also runs the good stuff like Gem Tech.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
IMHO reliable feeding is of the highest importance if you're shooting Steel Challenge as the targets are large and close. I use a Kimber conversion on my .45 frame. I have not had a problem with Federal bulk ammo but other brands have been troublesome, including CCI. It's no problem to switch top ends because I use FLGRs in both. If you are shooting in bullseye matches a Browning Buckmark is a good starter as is a heavy barreled Ruger.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, will consider the Ruger and Browning a bit more. I''ve been doing some searches on the web and came across two more that caught my interest. One is a Sig Hammerli TrailSide (2000 model) and a Hammerli Xesse, both in the.22LR.
How are these with feeding various ammo and reliability? Thanks. :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A store owner added two more for consideration: older version of the HighStandard and a Colt Targetman that is maybe a bit too old. The reason he mentioned the older versions is they ate the ammo with no problems unlike the more finnicky .22LR made today.

Still doing research and open to any other suggestions. So far I am researching the ones on the list below.

High Standard
Sig Hammerli Trailside -going to be hard to find.
Ruger Mark II/III
Colt Targetman-on the expensive side when found, parts and mags would be hard to locate.
Hammerli Xesse

·
Registered
236 Posts
The buckmark is a solid choice. I have one that runs 99.9% on Federal bulk pack.

Also a good choice is a Ruger Mk III lite.

I like my M&P 22 as it is really light and has a fairly decent trigger.
If need to make fast follow up shots an M&P 22 after about a 1000 rounds are through is a great choice out to about 20 yards. Farther with a Red Dot.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to let you all know I found a Browning that came home with me this evening. It is a Browning Buck Mark Black Label Micro UDX NS .22LR pistol. The store employee told us it was a Shot Show special run. It is not listed or mentioned on Browning's website. I hope to try it out on some paper targets tomorrow providing it doesn't rain as forecasted. Next competition is this Saturday. :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Here are some links to help you with the Buckmark:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212717

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/buckmark.htm

The rimfirecentral.com site is the 22LR equivalent of this forum. Great information all around. I have an older 5.5" Buckmark target model that I like quite a bit. I also have one of the older High Standards (Supermatic Trophy) and Colt Woodsman Target Match pistols. They are great target pistols but I can't imagine they'd be very good for Steel Competition. The third series Woodsman Target (and most affordable) has the magazine release at the heel of the butt! The High Standards have a mag release at the bottom front of the grip. Neither would be suitable for any kind of action shooting.

I had an extended mag release made up for my Buckmark as the original one is fairly hard to reach, at least with target grips. I bought a couple of replacements from MidwayUSA and had a friend join them together for me. Tactical Solutions also sells one pre-made.

Good luck and have fun,

dakotaTex

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have to mention that I bought my last Ruger Mk series a few years ago, a MkIII 'Hunter.'

It was my last (I have lost count of how many MkII's I've had, still have an original) because an OOB round blew the stupid lawyer-loving loaded chamber indicator off and into my thumb, causing a great deal of pain (but no lasting injury-this time-thank goodness.)

If Ruger sees fit to remove a solid metal chamber to install a plastic weak point, my thumbs will shop elsewhere from now on. I happen to love my Buckmark, by the way.

Larry

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I have to mention that I bought my last Ruger Mk series a few years ago, a MkIII 'Hunter.'

It was my last (I have lost count of how many MkII's I've had, still have an original) because an OOB round blew the stupid lawyer-loving loaded chamber indicator off and into my thumb, causing a great deal of pain (but no lasting injury-this time-thank goodness.)

If Ruger sees fit to remove a solid metal chamber to install a plastic weak point, my thumbs will shop elsewhere from now on. I happen to love my Buckmark, by the way.

Larry
Can't say I've ever had a Mark III fire out of battery. I would imagine that it would be close to impossible with the way the hammer and bolt are designed, but I may need to look a bit closer. I would think that the hammer falling would either force the bolt closed or never hit the firing pin, but I could be wrong. That being said, the LCI doesn't necessarily compromise anything as far as integrity of the chamber goes. The area it's in doesn't experience any stress from the firearm's function. Keeping your fingers/thumbs/appendages away from any potential gas port on any firearm would be sound advice, though. Sorry that your thumb got whacked by that stupid hunk of plastic. I removed the LCI on my Mark III.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've always been partial to the original all steel .22 upper produced by Kart Sporting Arms. I consider that the pinnacle of the all around .22 target guns. Otherwise, you get into the hyper expensive specialty Olympic pistols that cost absurd amounts of money, and have no other applicable use.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are some links to help you with the Buckmark:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212717

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/buckmark.htm

The rimfirecentral.com site is the 22LR equivalent of this forum. Great information all around. I have an older 5.5" Buckmark target model that I like quite a bit. I also have one of the older High Standards (Supermatic Trophy) and Colt Woodsman Target Match pistols. They are great target pistols but I can't imagine they'd be very good for Steel Competition. The third series Woodsman Target (and most affordable) has the magazine release at the heel of the butt! The High Standards have a mag release at the bottom front of the grip. Neither would be suitable for any kind of action shooting.

I had an extended mag release made up for my Buckmark as the original one is fairly hard to reach, at least with target grips. I bought a couple of replacements from MidwayUSA and had a friend join them together for me. Tactical Solutions also sells one pre-made.

Good luck and have fun,

dakotaTex
Thank you for the links. I browsed the rimfire forum last night, pretty neat site.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Can't say I've ever had a Mark III fire out of battery. I would imagine that it would be close to impossible with the way the hammer and bolt are designed, but I may need to look a bit closer. I would think that the hammer falling would either force the bolt closed or never hit the firing pin, but I could be wrong. That being said, the LCI doesn't necessarily compromise anything as far as integrity of the chamber goes. The area it's in doesn't experience any stress from the firearm's function. Keeping your fingers/thumbs/appendages away from any potential gas port on any firearm would be sound advice, though. Sorry that your thumb got whacked by that stupid hunk of plastic. I removed the LCI on my Mark III.
"Thumbs forward" puts the weak thumb (at least mine) right along the LCI-not really a choice, if you shoot all your autos similarly.

I find your referring to the LCI as a 'gas port' and then claiming it's not a weak point in the chamber is sort of telling...:) I know the receiver used to be solid steel, and now it has a useless (would any firearms instructor recommend TRUSTING an LCI? I know I don't) opening with plastic bits in it.

As far as firing OOB, that was a best guess; the case head was ruptured up beyond the priming ring, so it obviously wasn't in the chamber, but a check showed the gun's disconnector working properly. I can't swear it was an OOB firing, but whatever it was, it was allowed to vent into my thumb, something that couldn't have happened prior to the lawyer-sucking LCI Ruger added. That, along with their "Danger Will Robinson!!!" roll marks and insistence on putting magazine disablers in their pistols is enough to make me buy different brands at this point.

Larry

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I find your referring to the LCI as a 'gas port' and then claiming it's not a weak point in the chamber is sort of telling...:)

Larry
It's not a weak point in the chamber, because it's not part of the chamber of the barrel. It is completely removed from the chamber, separated by quite a lot of steel. I highly doubt that there is any stress in that particular section of the firearm. When the action opens, gas and debris is ejected through any available opening.

Whatever. Technicalities. Point is, the LCI port does not weaken the firearm or threaten its structural integrity any more than the ejection port does.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts