1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand of 230-grain FMJ/hardball ammo would you recommend for a new 1911? (A Springfield Mil-Spec, if it matters.
) Specifically, I am looking for a brand that shoots clean, is reliable, and has a good price. Are there any brands I should steer clear of? Thanks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Remington/UMC are good and reliable. They're a bit pricey though unless you buy in bulk. As far as bang for the buck, Sellier and Bellot ammo has been very good to me, and they are reloadable.

I may catch some flame for this, but I'd steer clear of Wolf and Blazer ammo. Wolf cases are made of steel, and does not readily expand to seal on detonation like brass does. The Blazers use aluminum cases, and I don't like the idea of inhaling aluminum vapors.

If you're going to shoot over 2,000 rounds a year, I'd invest in a progressive reloader.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Registered
594 Posts
American Eagle has been good.
I've only used approx. 500 rounds of it though.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> GI-45, right now I'm useing PMC, it's reliable, and inexpensive, if bought by the case. I'm gonna give S&B a try next case.
----------
<><> Raspy <><>

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have always had great luck with Winchester White Box (Q4170), PMC, and UMC. I'm most partial, however, to Federal's 230gr ball "Match" and it is my current carry ammo (after that I go for the Winchester). I've been told that Federal will no longer be packaging this load in 50 round boxes, pretty inconvenient. So when my supply of the Federal "Match" round runs out I will most likely switch to the Winchester White Box 230gr for carry ammo.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've used them all, the best value right now is S&B. Not too dirty, cheap, low flash and it always goes bang. Sam

·
Banned
234 Posts
I recently tried some Remington/UMC (the yellow box)in a brand new Colt 1991A1. It worked through the gun just fine and showed superb accuracy.It didn't leave the gun all grungy,either. I got mine for $11.99 for a box of 50 rounds.Picked it up at our local Gander Mountain store. This is a very good price for per-box (non-bulk purchase)ammo.I also tried the Winchester Win-Clean target ammo (230 grain) and it was very clean shooting.It seemed a little on the light side power-wise but did function well through the gun,also.That Winchester ammo is about $14 a box.Looking forward to trying out the Sellier&Bellot.

------------------
Dave

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've had excellent luck with S&B, Winchester white box Q-loads, and Federal Classic 230gr. Match.

Also, I've fired over a thousand rounds of Wolf .45 ammo with zero problems.

If I was going to carry ball, I would choose either the Federal Match load or Hornady Custom FMJ's.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
My gun shoots Federal American Eagle ("red box ammo") about as good as I could possibly ask for. I 'spect that much of what is seen as a difference in ammo is actually a difference in guns. It just so happens that my Kimber likes American Eagle. Your Springfield may like something else. Experiment.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Originally posted by GI-45:
What brand of 230-grain FMJ/hardball ammo would you recommend for a new 1911? (A Springfield Mil-Spec, if it matters.
) Specifically, I am looking for a brand that shoots clean, is reliable, and has a good price. Are there any brands I should steer clear of? Thanks.
my favorite 45acp ammo is fiochi. sweet.
clean. and it has a little more zip.
the cases are vey nice. i just get other
stuff for less and it is about as accurate in my rig.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I think Fiocchi is the cleanest I have shot. It won't matter after 250 rounds or so how clean any ammo is because by that time, the cleanest ammo has left about as much gunk in the barrel as the dirtiest ammo. If you are shooting 50 rounds, then their will be a big difference.

You should try shooting a variety of ammo if you can, all but American Ammo (from Florida, usually sold in the clear plastic boxes/cases). American is not good ammo and may not be safe to shoot. Quality control seems to be an issue with them.

You will save money buying in bulk, but if you can afford different brands, you can go ahead and determine what your gun likes and dislikes while getting it broken in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts