1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for your input as far as reliability in the Pro Carry; stopping ability; accuracy. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, I have a Pro Carry, and have never shot anybody with it - so I can't answer all of your questions. As far as range accuracy goes, I have found it to be very fun to shoot and that's because it is accurate and dependable. This summer at a range with a few friends and a wide variety of guns , we had an "open class" target competion. Guys could choose from a .22 to a .45 and everyting between, including a Glock .40 and various .380's etc. I took the prize hands down with my Pro Carry, and I'm by no means a master marksman.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm going to run to the range today (hopefully) and run 100 or so rounds of Federal Tactical Bonded +P (LE only) 230 gr through mine. I'll report back sometime later today, as long as it actually is a go.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Ranger is LE only, but can be obtained and is legal for civilian use as well. Have not seen the Federal LE ammo for civies yet...

H

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should consider the new Taurus Hex Bullet stuff. They are 185 grain HP. The unique thing about these bullets is that they are solid copper bullets and these things are "hollow" points in every sense of the word. They are about the nastiest looking things I've ever seen. I have not experienced a jam w/ these yet. Speer GoldDot +P is also a good choice. I was told by a reputable Kimber dealer that GoldDots are actually the most effective defense rounds (according to police coroner's reports). Hope that helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't think that it really matters that much with a .45. I think that 230 FMJ is fine. From some things that I have read hollow points do not always expand the way they are supposed to. Especially with a slow bullet like the .45. Clint Smith from Thunder Ranch carries FMJ's because he thinks that they are more reliable than hollowpoints. Usually what I do is load one hollowpoint in the chamber and the magazine with FMJ.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am by no means an expert. From what I have learned if the Hollowpoint has a rounded appearence vs taperd it is slightly more reliable.

Bonded ammunition was designed to meet the FBI tests. if you are shooting through doors, glass, car doors etc. It would theoretically be better.

My suggestion is test the major brands (federal hydrashocks, winchester rangers, remington golden sabers, etc). If you have concerns about reliability the only way to test would be to fire a few hundred rounds.

JD

·
Registered
246 Posts
Out of all the rounds I have tested, I like Speer 230 gr or 200 gr GOld Dots, in standard or +P, 230 gr Pro Load (they use Gold Dot bullets), and 230 gr Remington Golden Sabers. They all tie for first place with me.

230 gr Rangers are my next favorite load running a VERY close second to the ones above.

230 gr Hydra Shoks are good.
I dont like ANY of the 165 gr loads, as they most all expand fairly rapidly, which causes them to have very shallow penetration. I personally prefer penetration over expansion.

·
Premium Member
5,059 Posts
I have almost always used a form of 230 grain bullet, since that is what most 1911's are based around anyway(I think).

I have used Remington Golden Sabers mostly, but have recently switched to Hornady XTP(?) 200gr +P. I'm hoping the added velocity might help with expansion, if neccesary. But hey, that's why I carry .45ACP. If it don't expand, it's still damn near a half inch hole!:D

·
Registered
246 Posts
BrianMajors said:
I have almost always used a form of 230 grain bullet, since that is what most 1911's are based around anyway(I think).

I have used Remington Golden Sabers mostly, but have recently switched to Hornady XTP(?) 200gr +P. I'm hoping the added velocity might help with expansion, if neccesary. But hey, that's why I carry .45ACP. If it don't expand, it's still damn near a half inch hole!:D
I have really been coming on to the 200's lately. They seem to penetrate close to what a 230 does, but offer better expansion. 200 gr +p Gold dots do great. I need to get my hands on some 200 gr. XTP's and try them out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use the Federal Tactical 230 gr +p in my Govt. model.

I also like that Federal EFMJ. It feeds like a champ.

The only other I'd look at is the Ranger 230 +p........UW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts