1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a bunch of problems with my sub compact.the most frequent are feed problems.it was explained to me that with these short slides, the round entry angle to the chamber is very critical.I am more concerned about the pistol functioning when I need it-than velocity.my most frequent feed problem is failure to fully close(I have to help it sometimes) I have been using winchester 230 fmj.would a swc do better? would it hurt to try 45gap ammo? admitedly my sub compact is the cheapie wanna-be warthog.it has a lifetime warrantee,but since they won't give me a refund, I need to get it to work.I am awaiting my third replacement.any ammo sugestions??

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Well, whatever you do, don't try to shoot 45GAP cartridges in a .45ACP-chambered pistol!

Do a search here for info on "ammo for short-barrel 1911s".

Many will suggest using lighter weight (185-200gr) bullets in "+P" cartridges, and you'll have to experiment to find out what works in your particular pistol, BUT it does sound as though you're problem is a failure to return to battery, which isn't likely attributable to the ammunition you're using.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Triggerbender said:
Is this gun broken in? If not shoot at least 200 rds thru it.
You might want to try polishing your feed ramp & chamber on your bbl.
no, the 2 guns I had weren't fully broken in.they did not work even 50%,so I sent each back on warantee twice & each were replaced.the feed ramp was improved etc.but still had the failure to close problem.I am awaiting my 3rd replacement now.they are suposed to tweak it before I get it-so it will work.I cant beleive they can sell pistols that don't work-right out of the box.I have tried everthing else,& thought ammo might be a factor...I can not recomend llama's sub-compacts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Someone (I think it's Federal) makes ammunition specifically for short-barreled pistols and snubbie revolvers. But I think their aim is to increase velocity out of these short barrels, not necessarily for feeding. Might want to do a search and see.
Whatever the problem, your pistol should at least feed 230gr FMJ's Since it doesn't, you're correct: It's the pistol and it's defective, not just ammo-sensitive. Sorry to hear that. Super short-barreled 1911s all seem to have this problem to some extent. If you get rid of yours & still want a reliable tiny gun, try a Glock or a snub revolver. I think (although I'm no expert on this) that Commander-sized 1911 is as small as you can get without compromising reliability. My Commander (actually a Champion, but same size) has no problems, but a friend's Officer's model slide doesn't like to shut all the way sometimes.

(edit: Not Federal, it's Speer that makes the cartridges for short-barreled handguns)

·
Registered
314 Posts
One of my Micro 1911s has some feeding issues. With FMJ ammo, it will feed anything I give it. With 200 and 230 grain JHP, it will feed correctly about 95% of the time and that isn't enough. I played with several different defensive loads and finally settled on Federal Hydra-Shocks in 165 grain. They ran 100% in 100 rounds fired.

·
Registered
17 Posts
powRball

You might try the Corbon PowRball - the round tip and lighter bullet might make a difference. I like the bigger bullet personally, but in my Kimber Ultra Carry (which seems to shoot all ammo w/o problem) I can say the PowRball at 165 grains is a lighter load in my holster. The round tip could help you out - might be worth a try before trading your gun.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It sounds like you might need a heavier recoil spring. If it's not going completely into battery (closing all the way). Check out a heavier than factory rated recoil spring from Wolff Gunsprings.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I have the Llama sub compact Wart clone Mine now works 100% Polish feed ramp and went to Wolff Mag springs for Para They list spring as for all 10 rounders. This is much stronger spring and cured last of my feeding problems. This is same spring the Wart Hog people use to cure their feeding problems Do not cut spring if you try it is longer and a pain to put in. Mag may hold 7or 8 at first leave loaded and will get to 10 after a few days.
I have also found mine hates 230 ammo It runs on silvertips and Corbon 165 DPX compact rounds. Use185gr or less At SD range they will work just fine You need to get the FPS back up The 230 ball little over 700FPS When I fired from my pistol the Win 230 ball would not go thru a 1/4" piece of Lexan(plastic) same ammo from commander blew thru. Pulled bullets out of my barn wall with my fingers Commander let the light in.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank You!

michael t said:
I have the Llama sub compact Wart clone Mine now works 100% Polish feed ramp and went to Wolff Mag springs for Para They list spring as for all 10 rounders. This is much stronger spring and cured last of my feeding problems. This is same spring the Wart Hog people use to cure their feeding problems Do not cut spring if you try it is longer and a pain to put in. Mag may hold 7or 8 at first leave loaded and will get to 10 after a few days.
I have also found mine hates 230 ammo It runs on silvertips and Corbon 165 DPX compact rounds. Use185gr or less At SD range they will work just fine You need to get the FPS back up The 230 ball little over 700FPS When I fired from my pistol the Win 230 ball would not go thru a 1/4" piece of Lexan(plastic) same ammo from commander blew thru. Pulled bullets out of my barn wall with my fingers Commander let the light in.
it is a relief to know that these can be made to work.I have passed your advice on to the warantee center.they say they will do all the polishing,trigger job,& springs(if it won't feed properly)when they get the new pistol(3rd).. this time they are sending a nickel finish pistol-I have heard they have a better record.at very least the finish should be easy to care for.I really appreciate your taking time to pass on your experience.I couldn't believe any one would mass-produce a gun without testing,that didn't work.thanks again,c.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
solved lLlama sub compact problem

thanks to micael t's advice & encouragement, the problems I was having went away..Llama sent my third replacement pistol through their walker arms service depot..this time they sent the satin chrome model at my request.I forwarded all the helpfull hints from this forum to the service center.the rails got polished,& the feedramp & barrel opening were tweaked.it feeds 230 grain ball,& fires reliabley.the chrome finish looks good to me,& should be easy to care for.this is a formidable pocket pistol(nice fit in back pocket of levis) I'm happy with it.thanks for everyones help.THEY CAN BE MADE TO WORK!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
crasig said:
thanks to micael t's advice & encouragement, the problems I was having went away..Llama sent my third replacement pistol through their walker arms service depot..this time they sent the satin chrome model at my request.I forwarded all the helpfull hints from this forum to the service center.the rails got polished,& the feedramp & barrel opening were tweaked.it feeds 230 grain ball,& fires reliabley.the chrome finish looks good to me,& should be easy to care for.this is a formidable pocket pistol(nice fit in back pocket of levis) I'm happy with it.thanks for everyones help.THEY CAN BE MADE TO WORK!
Check out Stephen Camp's test on the 160 grain Cor Bon DPX.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corbon 160 gr DPX.htm

I used to think that lighter than 185 grain was iffy. This article makes me think otherwise

1 - 12 of 12 Posts