1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace the ported barrel on my Springfield Loaded model to use it in IDPA. Springfield said any standard barrel and bushing will work. Their barrel is only $85 and $16 for a bushing. I'm new to IDPA shooting put it seems like reliability is much more important than accuracy since shots are under 20 yards, most 5 to 10. Is there a better choice than the factory barrel for these circumstances? I don't want a match chamber that may cause a jam, or be finicky with different ammo. I'll need to replace the giude rod too, I assume the full lenth one is the way to go.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I am new to this forum....Awesome!

Chet

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The reliability depends on how the 'smith installs the barrel, not on if it started as a factory or "match" barrel. Personally, I think it is worth springing for the $150 to get a Kart or non-AET Schuemann barrel. The 'smith can make sure the chamber isn't too tight for your intended use, and you get more accuracy in the bargain. Chamber tightness doesn't play a big role in handgun accuracy anyway.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'd agree with CastleBravo... The fit is most important, not so much the type of barrel.

Go with a Kart (cromoly - great for lead rounds) or BarSto (stainless - great for jacketed rounds).

Schuemann, Nowlin, Wilson, Brown are also barrels definitely worth considering.

Many great barrels to choose from...many great pistolsmiths also...:)

Hope this helps...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts