1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I would use a Wilson drop it. That way if I wanted to trade or sell down road I could return to stock. I love my Colts but their always a possibility I might trade one or sell. To get another Colt. So other than grips(I keep orginals)I keep mine close to stock.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I would agree with the recommendation for the Wilson's drop-in unit and as stated you could easily make the gun stock again if wanted.

The other option is to have a gunsmith FIT a beavertail safety to your gun but this requires removal of some material and is non-reversable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a gunsmith fit a Wilson stainless beavertail to my stainless XSE. No regrets, I would not want to go back to the stock one anymore. Wilson part is way more eye apealing (no un-sightly gaps) and waaay more comfy, Jeff

·
Registered
475 Posts
The Duckbill safety is problematic. I’m going to change mine out. I didn’t buy it as a collector item. Function is more important to me than resale

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
45caldan said:
I would agree with the recommendation for the Wilson's drop-in unit and as stated you could easily make the gun stock again if wanted.

The other option is to have a gunsmith FIT a beavertail safety to your gun but this requires removal of some material and is non-reversable.

Here's a Wilson "drop-in" on my 1991. It's not fitted but it's better than the "duckbill".

:D

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The Wilson drop in part is the way to go. It does the job, looks decent and can be switched out down the road if need be.

Unless you are creating a "custom" firearm, the drop in part gets it done.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
dakota1911 said:
I guess I would question the reason why you wanted to replace it.
I found it uncomfortable because its sharp downward sweep prevented me from using the high hold I prefer.

As recommended by many here, I replaced it with the Wilson drop-in. This dramatically improved things for me.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have both types of Wilson - fitted and drop in

I had a fitted Wilson beavertail and hammer put on my Series 80 Gold Cup, and it works very well and looks good because of the precise fitting by the gunsmith.

I also have a Colt Defender with the Wilson drop in beavertail. It has a little more gap, but works well. Here are pics:

·
Registered
504 Posts
For a drop in replacement you can go with the Wilson BT as other have stated. If you want something fitted you can go with a Chip McCormick BT like on my XSE .38 Super.

RJM

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I shot my NRM 1991 Blued Commander this past weekend and after 75 rounds had to put the gun down. The duckbill was eating into my skin between my thumb and index finger. Later in the day, a small blister was forming.

Needless to say, my Wilson drop in BT, courtesy of Brownells, should be here shortly.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would have a beavertail fitted to the gun. For the extra money you will be much happier. What will lower the value of the gun is tinkering with it at home not a professional installing a quality part.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
gj047 said:
I would have a beavertail fitted to the gun. For the extra money you will be much happier. What will lower the value of the gun is tinkering with it at home not a professional installing a quality part.
Really? I fitted and installed all the modifications on my pistol including the beavertail grip safety, the thumb safety, the sights, and the 9x23 barrel. As far as "lower the value" is concerned (which, btw, is the least of my concerns when I decide to modify a firearm to my liking), nothing done to my pistol can't be undone. The same holds true for installing a "drop-in" beavertail grip safety. All the fitting/filing is done to the part itself, not the pistol frame, and it can quickly and easily be replaced with the original beavertail. No value lowered or lost.

The rule of thumb in 'smithing your own pistol, as in most things in life, is "know your limitations." ;)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Loco38SUP said:
For a drop in replacement you can go with the Wilson BT as other have stated. If you want something fitted you can go with a Chip McCormick BT like on my XSE .38 Super.

RJM
Your pistola looks great, Loco!

Maybe I just got lucky, but the fit of my Wilson drop-in seems fairly precise to me. ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Xtrooper I think I should have been more specific. I was speaking of the fitted beavertail which of course alters the frame. If you mess up this job it would require a weld up at minimum. I have found fitting a grip saftey is not that difficult but does require a refinsh after the blending is complete. I personally don't care for the look of drop in beavertails due to the gaps in the tang area. With that said a properly fit (function checked) drop in beavertail may be the best option when considering cost. Xtrooper you also made a good point that changes my thoughts on the matter. Resale value is really the last thing that should be on your mind when customizing a pistol to your own needs. To each his own.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
gj047 said:
Xtrooper I think I should have been more specific. I was speaking of the fitted beavertail which of course alters the frame. If you mess up this job it would require a weld up at minimum. I have found fitting a grip saftey is not that difficult but does require a refinsh after the blending is complete. I personally don't care for the look of drop in beavertails due to the gaps in the tang area. With that said a properly fit (function checked) drop in beavertail may be the best option when considering cost. Xtrooper you also made a good point that changes my thoughts on the matter. Resale value is really the last thing that should be on your mind when customizing a pistol to your own needs. To each his own.
Thanks for the clarification, amigo. Regarding alterations to the frame, I am in complete agreement with you. If you don't know what you're doing, DON'T! This falls in line with my "know your limitations" admonition. :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
would like to buy stock xse grip safety

If any of you guys still have the stock XSE beavertail grips safety that you pulled off your colt and replaced, I would like to buy it. Please PM me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts