1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to do my first complete 1911 build. I have experience lightening slides on the mill, installing C-Mores, working on slide releases, drilling/tapping mag releases, making mag release buttons on the lathe, making steel & tungsten guide rods, fit a Kart barrel with their easy system, etc, etc, however, I've never done a frame/slide/barrel fit.

This is going to be a USPSA Open Division gun in 9mm major built with a STI slide, STI frame, and Schuemann barrel.

I have a few Pistolsmithing/Gunsmithing books at home but they DO NOT go into detail on the frame/slide/barrel fitting. I've read a ton of stuff on the internet (Brazos' website, Brownell's Tech articles, etc.) and I'm still not confident that I have all the info I need.

Can anyone point me to any documentation (books, videos, free stuff on the net, etc) that will give me a bunch of detail on how to fit these parts?

Thanks for the help!
Darren

·
Registered
159 Posts
Kuhnhausen has written two workshop manuals on the 1911, I doubt it would be possible to be more detailed than these books. Brownell's or Midway carries both, if you need more data, you will have to raise John Browning from the dead. Get them.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Probably you already know all of this, but just in case,

In addition to the books,

Go to the Schuemann web site and read his excellent 1911 timing section. The stuff I'll quote comes from .45s, 9mm may be different. Anyhow,

Be sure you know the specs for: (from memory, so check me) upper lug engagement depth (.050, + / - .002), slide travel before unlocking begins (.100), headspace (.900 min), and so on.

The Schuemann barrels I've used were short chambered, so you'll have to finish ream them after fitting. I love them.

Also, the .015" Schuemann uses in Test 1 as minimum clearance with all vertical slack removed in the upward direction is .010" in the sheet that comes with the barrel. This is adequate and will make your life a bit easier. Be very careful to keep the the lower lug centered while fitting the hood.

His writeup is not easy going, so read carefully til you're sure you understand all of it. The timing kit is not available, nor is it needed - you can do the same thing without it. Also, do not modify any ramps (frame or barrel) until/unless its absolutely required, and until you know the correct specs. - this seems to come up as an easy, but incorrect, fix for a lot of feeding problems. - EDIT - just realized this is likely a ramped barrel...

Good luck...

·
Registered
82 Posts
These videos show you how to build 1911s.

http://www.americangunsmith.com/view.php?id=126

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_videos_384.asp

These show really good video on how things are done. The Wilson Combat videos has Vic Tibbets(before he went to GI), Ron Phillips(before he went to Nighthawk), and Chris Peters(before he went to Metaloy) showing different parts of buildling/modifying a 1911.

There just so much you can get out of reading a book...seeing how things are actually done adds another dimension in learning.

Added:

Forgot to mention, AGI has a couple build/modify 1911 videos sets. One set showed how to use the Wilson lug cutter for barrel fitting. The other one shows how to use a fixture on a mill to cut the lugs on the barrel. Clark Customs has a video as well, in their video Jim Clark shows how to fit a barrel old school just with files from a hardware store. I don't recall a barrel fitting segment on the Wilson videos.

The AGI videos showed how to use the peening tools and frame rail measuring tools from brownells to fit a slide to a frame. Wison had a short segment on pinching the side for a tighter fit.

You can rent most of these at http://smartflix.com/store/category/71/1911?ct=af205652

Avoid this one: http://smartflix.com/store/video/28...tical-Necessary-Custom-Procedures?ct=af205652

1 - 6 of 6 Posts