1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Money being an object, I could only afford a Rock Island GI, which I got for 440 out the door. Seems like one of the best of the budget crop. Any opinions on ATI, Tisas and some of the others? I've yet to shoot my new 1911, bought it on the basis of the generally good reviews.

·
Banned
4,947 Posts

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
I think you will only know if you shoot it. I have experience with three Tactical Models and was very impressed. I always recommend RIA for folks who don't want to spend five hundred bucks. I hope you will be happy.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I've got to shoot and play with several RIA 1911's here at the range and have found them to be very nice, well made accurate guns, I always recommend them if someone is looking. About three years ago, I bought a Metro Arms Commander in 45 for around $400, Since then it's been my daily carry and range gun, quality control seems excellent much nicer fitting to parts than many more expensive brands.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I too have to give a plug to Rock Island Armory (Armscor). Best bang for the buck out of any 1911 out there! I'm not sure about Tisas or Girsan as I haven't had the opportunity to see one yet.

RIA full size basic GI 1911 .45 ACP - - - $433 from grabagun.com
RIA full size tactical 1911 .45 ACP - - - $470 from grabagun.com

RIA full size basic GI 1911 .45 ACP - - - $426 from Bud's gun shop
RIA full size tactical 1911 .45 ACP - - - $445 from Bud's gun shop

·
Registered
385 Posts
I bought a basic Armscor 1911 several years ago. Accuracy has been better than good. A definite plus is that it has shot all bullet profiles without any issues. It is currently my house gun. (My mo' better 1911 is in the safe)

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have had a chance to shoot and handle an American tactical 4.25 barrel 9mm
This is one rough pistol when it came in to the shop, it appears to be painted with rusteolum after a field strip and lube we went to shoot it, runs good and shoots too moa of soda can at 20 yards.

RIA, popular and run good priced right.
My first 1911 was a norinco,

·
Registered
1911 Addict
662 Posts
The Metro Arms is the clear winner , having owned several RIA's ,Tisas, and ATI I am more then pleased with my American Classic ,priced slightly higher then the rest but very well made .Fit and finish Puts it above all the rest Imo. That said I've seen several great deals on the Springfields RO's ,I've been happy with mine.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
M1911A1s are very much like computers in that there's almost no upper limit on what one CAN pay for one, but one needn't max-out their plastic to get a very very good one. The Les Baer & Wilson Combat pieces are true works of art, that will enable almost any shooter to become their personal best with a 1911A1. But for shooters on a budget, all is not lost.

When we were both considerably younger, my SA National Match .45 ACP out-shot a handful of Colt Gold Cup owners, in informal matches where there was money on the line. I doubt that I or my pistol would be capable of a repeat result (we're 2 decades older, now), but I still shoot better with it than with any other sidearm I own. In more serious "competition", in which the winner's prize was the ability to walk away, it served me better than any I think any other platform could have. If I am unfortunate enough to find myself in such situations again, I'll hope I'm with my SA National Match 1911A1.

I've yet to shoot a model of 1911 from RIA with which I wasn't thoroughly pleased. They won't impress owners of a Colt Gold Cup or SA National Match, but they seem to be far more than merely adequate in terms of accuracy, reliability and durability. They're just darned good pistols for the money. One may easily pay twice their price for a 1911A1, but I doubt that a pistol of twice their value will be obtained.

If the price is in the right range, look closely also at the Iver Johnson 1911s of whatever variation. I haven't shot one yet, but fit & finish on the ones I've inspected suggests to me that they'll shoot QUITE well.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The days of crap .45's like AMT / Enterprise Arms / Essex / Crown City Arms seem to be over. I'd be hard pressed to name a currently manufactured .45 that was crap from the factory. I know there was even a period where factory Colts were not great (1980's)

Current personal experience with entry level .45's has been uniformly impressive. (ATI / RIA / Armscor / Citadel, etc.) And I've read nothing but glowing reviews of Girsan and affiliated .45's. And current Colt production seems to rival the best that was offered in the "Golden years" pre-1960's. Even more impressive is Dan Wesson offering stock factory built firearms that rival semi custom (WC/LB/ Baer/Guncrafter) for fit and finish

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I got a Taurus 1911 for under $400 and though many here will jump on it I have found it to be a quality gun. Reliable, well built and accurate. For the price I think it's a steal.

I also have a Rock I also bought under $400. Never has failed me and I like it a great deal.

Best 2 deals out there although I have read a bunch of good reviews on the Tisa's and Girsan's.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I've had a couple of RIA guns and both were great. One had to go back to the mother ship, but they gave it a polish and tune job and it worked like a champ. still wish I had never sold my first RIA gun to a buddy as his first 1911. gun was perfect with every mag I threw at it (except for Power mags for some reason)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The days of crap .45's like AMT / Enterprise Arms / Essex / Crown City Arms seem to be over. I'd be hard pressed to name a currently manufactured .45 that was crap from the factory.
I have a hard time arguing with that. These days, I guess there's really no excuse for producing a poorly made 1911, or AR15. The skills and technology necessary to make either arm are too prevalent and well understood for bad ones to be made.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I have carried my ATI Commander 1911 for a few years and it just works. After a custom carry treatment the gun carries and shoots like a dream to me. The gun feeds anything and everything. The only quirk is the gun is picky on what mags it will drop free.

I walked out the door paying 330 for mine

·
Registered
367 Posts
The Metro Arms American Classics are a step above the Rock Islands for barely any more coin.

My next 1911 will likely be a Rock though because I want one in .40 and Metro doesn't make one.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.