1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I played with the Springfield Scout some more tonight. Sweet rifle. It seemed like a no-BS and very functional gun, like the middle-end pistols like the Berettas and Glocks.

I'm just curious, if money is no object, what's the BEST rifle you can buy in CA? I'm not concerned with finding smiths to work on them, available parts, or $$ at all. Let's say it was WORKMANSHIP as the only factor.

I have no rifle experience and don't know what to look for. The Sig R93 LRS2 looked really cool but it's a bolt rifle. I'm looking for something in that grade here in CA. Let me know...thanks.

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
"Best" might be alittle subjective, and not neccessarily comensurate with cost for some people.

I don't think many military-style semi-autos stand in the class of such rifles as Blaser as far as quality of fabrication goes; but SIG, H&K and FN come to mind.

But I don't know if any of them are California-legal in any form you might be able to buy these days. Someone living in Ca. might be able to clarify that one. Right now it is so easy to fall foul of the law there, I am just glad I don't have to live there.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I would say look towards an M1 Garand. That will be a hard one for them to demonize as an "assault weapon" later on. It's also proven to have kicked a lot of various tuchis and is very reliable. Not too expensive, inexpensive (and surplus) ammo is available, lots of parts available, lots of accessories available (GI-issue ammo belts, bayonets, buttstock cleaning kits (there is a hinged door in the buttstock to stow it), and it's just plain fun. You can get five-round clips for it if you decide you want to hunt with it. Otherwise, it holds eight in it's standard clip. You can get clips in bulk cheap.

------------------

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't

·
Registered
252 Posts
Go with an M1A...if you want a poodle shooter then go with a Mini-14...every other center fire rifle w/detachable mag is verboten...what do you expect out here on the "left" coast..

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by cc987:
Go with an M1A...if you want a poodle shooter then go with a Mini-14...every other center fire rifle w/detachable mag is verboten...what do you expect out here on the "left" coast..
The M1A is almost worthless if you don't have mags... Sure, you can get the 10 rounders, but the GI 20's are the best mag ever made for the M14/M1A, they just cost a bunch of money. Biggest downside for the M1A is weight, they are extremely heavy compared to other choices, and not too much fun in Close Quarters.

I WILL be getting an M21 someday, when the budget permits. The M1A/M21 are serious Tackdrivers, and a good M1 Garand can be a serious tackdriver too, though I might be torn between the '06, and the 308. The 308 is cheaper to shoot.

Why, oh why couldn't the mags be as expensive as the Metric FN's, but then, what's the point for us stuck out here. Thankfully, I stashed a bunch of M14 GI 20's before the ban.

The Mini 14 suffers the same fates... Though the 10 round mags are probably the best of the avaialble mags, since the only Hi-Cap's for a crap are the Factory Ruger's, and they cost a small fortune to aquire. If I was considering the Mini, I might consider the Mini 30, the Ammo is dirt cheap, and with 10 round mags, doesn't suffer the feed problems the 30 had with the converted AK 30's. They definately have more firepower for 10 rounds than the .223.

Personally, a Garand is nice, but heavy... The Fixed mag SKS's are much more handy, and much less costly for Ammo, and for the gun.

An M1 Carbine would be nice, and the 10 round GI mags are cheap, though tough to find, with 15's more easily available. #0 Carbine ammo is a little easier on the wallet than '06 too.

Anymore, you gotta wonder if simply getting a Remington 740 series might be the best alternative here in the PRK these days. Sure, you won't have even 10 rounds in the mag, but the gun's are light, and handy, and definately can't be mistaken as a Military Arm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts