1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at my options on smaller and lighter carry guns but I'm not sure I really want a officer sized gun because I already have quite a few good magazines and don't want a new gun that I can't exchange magazines with.

Aluminum frame and a bobbed grip would be plusses, but not a necessity. Reasonable price is also considered a plus isn't it is a carry gun.

What are the choices for a reliable single stacked 45?

·
Registered
287 Posts
The way I see it, the frame length is the harder part to conceal than the longer slides.... I personally share carry duties between my XDS and my Officers ACP. I use a Officers length mag in the gun, and use standard 1911 length mags on my belt. I would suggest getting Wilson bases to convert their mags to be used in Officers model. That way you don't have to worry about knocking out your ejector in a slide lock reload.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
I'm looking at my options on smaller and lighter carry guns but I'm not sure I really want a officer sized gun because I already have quite a few good magazines and don't want a new gun that I can't exchange magazines with.

Aluminum frame and a bobbed grip would be plusses, but not a necessity. Reasonable price is also considered a plus isn't it is a carry gun.

What are the choices for a reliable single stacked 45?

What?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yeah, I fumbled through that sentence didn't I. What I was trying to say was that reasonably priced guns were a plus since it was a carry gun. Suggestions about $3000 semi custom guns isn't really what I was look for.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
How about a Scandium framed S&W E series with bobbed butt?

They're commander sized and take 8-round mags so the butt isn't
shorter than standard but the Scandium purportedly is stronger than
just aluminum framed pistols.

Look up S&Wsc E Series.

Suggested retail indicates that realistically they probably sell
for around $1,100.

I have no experience with the Scandiums but I do with the stainless goverment style E Series Smiths.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Colt Wiley Clapp Commander: Pros: Aluminum frame, checkered front strap. Cons: no night sights (brass front bead), old style thumb safety.

Sig Fastback Carry: Pros: fastback frame (similar to bobtail), DLC finish, night sights, checkered front strap. Cons: steel frame, recent Sig QC issues.

Both are commander length guns with beavertail safeties and traditional GI plug setup. The Sig may be several hundred less depending on availability in your area.

·
Premium Member
20,430 Posts
Kimber Pro Carry is a lightweight full size frame with their great 4" bull barrel. A bobtail is cheap but you would have to have the frame refinished. My bobtailed Pro is stainless so that wasn't a problem, but it is a few ounces heavier. But on a full grown man I find that no issue.

·
Registered
407 Posts
how about a scandium framed s&w e series with bobbed butt?

shorter than standard but the scandium purportedly is stronger than

Look up s&wsc e series.

for around $1,100.

I have no experience with the scandiums but i do with the stainless goverment style e series smiths.
+1

·
Premium Member
20,430 Posts
The barrel is not the issue in carrying concealed IWB, the bigger the better. Longer sight plane, better accuracy, much better velocity.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Question is a subjective one because their isn't such a thing as "best" only "best" to who cares to label it so. Some may say that a $500 1911 is the best, others may say that a $3500 1911 is the best etc etc. This topic has been covered a billion times. What's best? Well, what best fits your budget, style, hand ergonomics, likes, etc.. At the end of the day is "you" that has to make that determination, not the forum members or the Internet. However, forums, internet, is a good way to get "feedback, opinions, guidance" etc so it helps to make a better decision.

Many good options out there what you need to do is visit your LGS and rent one, shoot it, see if it fits your hand, budget, how it functions w different loads, etc etcetera and from there you can make a solid choice

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Dan Wesson Guardian or CCO. Awesome!
Colt CCO, done by Gunsite. Great pistol!
Sig Nightmare not bad either.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
Yup Colt XSE LW Commander, Colt/Talo WC Commander, and the Scandium frame E Series are nice choices. Dan Wesson also nice.

·
Registered
833 Posts
How about a Scandium framed S&W E series with bobbed butt?

shorter than standard but the Scandium purportedly is stronger than

Look up S&Wsc E Series.

for around $1,100.

I have no experience with the Scandiums but I do with the stainless goverment style E Series Smiths.
Still scandium and works with (and comes with )7 round mags:

Smith & wesson Pro series:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...75658_757896_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

I've seen them online for$875 to $920 brand new.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Just find a commander that has a bobbed frame. S&W has the E series. Kimber has a new platform called the master carry. STI, les bear. For a carry gun price should not be an issue when it comes to saving you or a loved one.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well, lets see- The GLOCK compacts can run full size mags- ie- The g21 is a full size .45- 13 rounds . The g30 is the compact .45- 10 rounds but it will accept the bigger 13 rounders from the g21. I prefer 9mm glocks however. G26 for carry and G17 for everything else. Sub 4.25 inch 1911s are suspect.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts