1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't want to be caught running with my pants down going for the SG if someone were to invade the house during fambly hour. I am looking for a holster that would allow me to carry cocked and locked, but with little showing that might upset the more delicate houseguests (this is the San Francisco area after all...)

I kindly solicit your recommendations, thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Sounds like a ready-made situation for Thunderwear, the "Is that a .45 in your shorts or are you just glad to see me" holster.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm concerned about the proximity of the thunderwear holster to the privates...

Would an OWB holster like Mr. Alessi's be visible under a polo shirt, when, say, you are sitting at the dinner table with friends over for dinner?

I'm looking at Mr. Alessi's concealables quite closely...

------------------
I knew Thomas Jefferson, he was a friend of mine...Governor Clinton, you're no Thomas Jefferson

·
Registered
105 Posts
Check out IWB. I think it's exactly what you're looking for. Kydex might be thinner and (debatably) more comfortable.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate it...

Here are my candidates thus far for discreet/polite home carry

- Milt Sparks Double Talon. Loks stable, I like the restraint in the boning of the leather, nothing overdone, extremely elegant piece

- Alessi equivalent of the above - though Mr. Alessi's distributor, it would seem, carries no pictures of this holster. But Mr. Alessi's reputation governs over the poor presentation by R&F...

Others

- Tauris' convertible hip
- Alexander
- Hume

And that fellow whose web site I lost and can't find...dang that vitiates the "decision-making process..."

For kydex I think I'd wait until Sidearmor comes out with a full size gummint holster...

Thanks again

·
Registered
71 Posts
Your houseguests?

Chuckle.

My houseguests know that what they see is what they get.

Hugh Hefner established the fact that he preferred a housecoat, a cigar, a cocktail, and a delightful young lady.

This was his wardrobe.

My preference is a pair of Wranglers, a 25 year old # B4 32 Bianchi belt, a 25 year old Bianchi # 1L holster, and a Colt's SAA.

Flipflops in the summer, Tony Lamas in the winter; that is my wardrobe.

Personal defense allows you to make a positive statement about your character.

Never back up. Never give in. And never pretend that you don't already know what is right.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi gigi*riva

I would just carry however you carry out in public. You are not suppose to upset the public with displaying either.

I carry around the house all the time with an IWB holster and that's how I do it.

The IWB holster I like a lot is the Ky-Tac IWB titled the Braveheart. I wasn't a big believer in kydex till I tried their IWB holster. You might want to give them a look or you can check out a web-site that I ordered them from which is http://www.skdtac.com/

I've heard nothing but praises about Sparks and Alessi's offering and I'm sure you'd be very safe in picking from what they have to offer but If you are even thinking about kydex I'd check out the Braveheart.

Ross T.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Capnrik and Rosanghal, this is San Francisco!!! Short of moving I have lil' choice, the best folk here are squeamish (they are the ones allowed in the house,) the worst are fascist snitches (needless to say NOT allowed in the house...)

As far as everyday carry is concerned, no such thing here unfortunately...thanks for the advice, And Texas and PA sound better and better to me, maybe I should move and then choose a holster

------------------
I knew Thomas Jefferson, he was a friend of mine...Governor Clinton, you're no Thomas Jefferson

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PS best carry mode is paramount, consideration for the delicate guests sensibilities a distant second just so you know...

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Are you saying it is illegal to have a handgun in your home in San Francisco?

I like Sparks Versa Max 2 holster. It is a wider holster. That means instead of getting one very pronounced lump from your gun and the snap loops holding it to the belt, the snap loops are moving to the sides of the gun, dispersing the features over a wider area. That helps to preclude the giant hip tumor some people appear to have when carrying.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, it's not illegal to posess in San Fran, but it's a place that's quite hostile to firearms, the best policy is not to advertise...the day will come when registration - here required by law - will turn into confiscation...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sound advice above I use the Sparks /Alessi dual talon or the versamax if you want to tuck your shirt in. Kydex I like the Braveheart and if you buy open end you can use it with all your 1911'S !!!
The thinnest holster I have is a kydex made By Mr Murnak at FIST this is a clip on sewn 1/32" thick two piece holster.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I found a stiff olive drab canvas belt pouch with a good snap strap at War Surplus. It has nerd pen loops (and nerd plastic pens) on the sides. It's vertical, about 6.5" high, 4.5" wide, about 2" deep. A J-frame or Glock sub-compact fits it perfectly, with enough room to get the gun out fast. Not exactly a 1911, but I carry it most of the time I'm at home - in the yard, shop or house. Everyone who sees it thinks FOR SURE it's a portable phone because of its cell phone size (small) and because it's vertical.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts