1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your most accurate load in 45acp using Clays powder. Mine is 4.3gr.,200gr. lead swc, Win primers.865fps..

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I use 4.6 for the old IPSC major PF. The recoil is a bit sharp compared to what I use now(4.2), but it was very accurate. I use D&J bullet.'forgot the actual velocity but it was in the 900fps range.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I like 4.0 grains with a 200 grain lead SWC. This is a soft shooting and very accurate load.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Clays is a relatively large flake powder. I shoot bullseye (no power factor required!) and am just trying my first pound of it now. I'm using light loads of 3.5 gr behind a 185 gr LSWC, which seems good so far. It "grinds" a lot in my Uniflow powder measure, but measures quite well, probably +/- .1 grain, unless I try to get loads below 3.5 gr, at which point it's all over the place. So I've settled on 3.5 as the lightest load I can measure accurately at this point.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well, I have to say that as stated, Clays is extremely clean burning. Just got back from the range and am very pleased with the results. With my light loads, TiteGroup was a disaster for me in terms of chamber fouling, and W231 flung unburned powder out the muzzle and down my arm. Clays did neither; just a nice light deposit in the chamber but nothing worth mentioning. And accurate--nice powder! I still want to give Red Dot a try in the future, but this is good!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I too am sold on Clays. One of it's most endearing attributes is it's price!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been using 4.4gr Clays with a 230gr FMJ and Winchester primers, OAL 1.26".

This load gives a 178 PF out of my Kimber Compact.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have had good results for bullseye loads of 3.9grs with 200gr lswc at 50yards. CCV above mentioned also mentioned he had great results with 4.0. I'm using a slide mounted Ultradot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here is the data I worked up for Clays with
230 LRN.

Gn Primer Avg Vel Sd
4.0 WLP 798 19

4.4 WLP 851 12

4.7 WLP 907 6

This was in R-P brass. Bullets were seated at 1.240". Best accuracy average between my guns was with 4.4gn. 2.5" in my Llama and 3.0" in my Norinco at 25 yards. It also put the group right over the semi-fixed sights of the Llama. as you can see the standard deviations are very low for this powder. Clays meters very well in my Redding and Lee measures I use.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by EdGCNM:
TiteGroup was a disaster for me in terms of chamber fouling

I still want to give Red Dot a try in the future, but this is good!

Titegroup: Did the fouling impede function? I noted a good deal of fouling with Titegroup. Wondered if it was giving me more FTF's.

Red Dot: If you like Clays, you will like Red Dot. (Allaint) 5 grains

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Hodgdon Powder lists three Clays, which are we talking about, Clays, International Clays or Universial Clays?

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
386 Posts
Gargoyle:

Yes, I experienced FTFs after as few as 40 or 50 rounds through the gun with TiteGroup. The chamber was so fouled that rounds could not seat all the way in.

Again, I was shooting very light target loads, which must have aggravated the problem a lot.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
John, "Clays" Just Clays, nothing added.
It is always safe and smart to make sure. This is a wonderful load for light to moderate power loads...

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Thanks. I have been using VV N310, but that stuff is getting expensive. Looking for an alternate powder. The VV literature I have says Clays burns at approximately the same rate as N310, so I will try it.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

1 - 16 of 16 Posts