1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=418979

I am looking for the best feeding 1911 ball round. I am also looking at which has the best case, most reliable primer, powder, etc. I realize not all ball ammo can be equally as good. I shoot Winchester white box often but notice that the primers arent that good and the cases tarnish easily. Is Black Hills the best combat FMJ and worth the money?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am looking for the best feeding 1911 ball round. I am also looking at which has the best case, most reliable primer, powder, etc. I realize not all ball ammo can be equally as good.
Pretty hard to beat original United States Government Issue (USGI) M1911 Ball ammo. A 50 round box can be easily ordered from a number of online auction sites.

I have close to 1K original M1911 Ammunition I bought at a yard sale in 1991.

This is what I have:

When I have to carry ball, that is my go to ammo. While I realize you may want to buy a commerical brand to practice with as opposed to finding original USGI M1911 Ball. What I've done is work up a reload that matches what I have in the USGI load and use that for practice.

Where I am sometimes required to travel, Ball ammo makes sense more than any other load.

Good enough for military use, good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I would say that the Black Hills is good, but I would say that the Federal Match, also available at Midway, is good as well for what you are wanting. The Federal Match looks more like original mil-spec. If it's around 830-850fps that supposedly is the spec. WWB claims to be 830fps.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I've been pleased with Federal American Eagle. It seems to be cleaner and a bit warmer than WWB to me.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I would say that the Black Hills is good, but I would say that the Federal Match, also available at Midway, is good as well for what you are wanting. The Federal Match looks more like original mil-spec. If it's around 830-850fps that supposedly is the spec. WWB claims to be 830fps.
Last time my Department chron'd ammo WWB came out about 790fps. Most other domestic brands came out hotter. European brands came out closer to 840-850.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I've always preferred Federal American Eagle over the other brands, but over the last 2 years, I've been shooting a lot Remington UMC and found that it's pretty good as well.

If I had to use ball for SD though, I still have 3 boxes of military issue (WWC) ammo from my days in the USMC squirreled away. That was always good stuff.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
While not exactly ball ammo, IIRC the US Air Force worked with Hornady to develop a 230gr truncated cone fmj to improve the stopping power of ball ammo via a meplat instead of a RN. Hollowpoint ammo was prohibited, fmj flat point ammo was not. The program was shelved when the armed forces transitioned to the 9mm. Buffalo Bore uses the Hornady 230 gr truncated cone fmj bullet in a +P loading at 950 fps. If you prefer a non expanding fmj I believe the TC bullet shape is preferable to the RN shape. At 950 fps the TC ammo should penetrate as well as ball ammo at 850 fps.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,328 Posts
Col. Cooper was a big fan of the Hornady 230TC. It used to be available as both loaded ammo and as a reloading component, but I think they dropped the former? I have a box of 100 bullets on the shelf, and a little bottle of primer/case-neck sealer, so I can load my own.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Col. Cooper was a big fan of the Hornady 230TC. It used to be available as both loaded ammo and as a reloading component, but I think they dropped the former? I have a box of 100 bullets on the shelf, and a little bottle of primer/case-neck sealer, so I can load my own.
Hey Rick
do you recall any tests that compared TC to ball?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,328 Posts
Like shooting wet phonebooks, or hunting, or ? I think there is a general consensus that flat-points are better "stoppers" than roundnose, but I'm not aware of specific testing of the Hornady TC, in isolation or vs. standard hardball.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=418979

I am looking for the best feeding 1911 ball round. I am also looking at which has the best case, most reliable primer, powder, etc. I realize not all ball ammo can be equally as good. I shoot Winchester white box often but notice that the primers arent that good and the cases tarnish easily. Is Black Hills the best combat FMJ and worth the money?
50 rounds of ball.....for $40??????? What the heck?????? Are they high??????

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't have any real complaint with the Winchester White Box, bought another 3 of the 100rd packs from Walmart this week. $34.97 per 100. Always performed OK for me, though I've never put it through a chrono. I also like the Federal AE.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm suprised that no one has mentioned Magtech, they use federal primers and the casings dont seem to tarnish too easily.The first 2 or 300 rounds I fed my SA were Magtech and i never had a hiccup...then I discovered that I could get twice as many WWB for $15 more

You guys may know something about them that I dont and if you do let me know but I still trust them to carry (im carrying em now)

Traditionally the US gov't contracts the lowest bidders to manufacture goods for them, I'm pretty sure this applied/applies to ammunition as well.I don't worry about feeding my 1911 gourmet ammo."If it's good enough for the military...etc." although I doubt the military uses Magtech (or even WWB) but its the same principle

good lord I started babbling

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm not as expert as many of you guys. But I shot ball in the Corps and like someone said, if its good enough for the military............

That said, I have come to a conclusion about FMJ vs JHP. During summer months when less clothing is worn, I think HP's are the way to go, but in winter ball (fmj) is the way to fly. I just think a heavy coat would have a great effect on hp's. Just my two pennies worth!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
The Buffalo Bore 230 gr TC fmj uses the Hornady bullet at 950 fps (+P). Also Penn makes a hardcast 230 gr TC with a BHN of 12 (target alloy) that used the original Hornady TC bullet to design the mold. I bought 2000 of them and they match the bullets in the Buffalo Bore ammo except for being lead. I was thinking of using the lead bullets for practice and the FMJ for carry ammo. I should run some tests to see if the meplat of the lead bullet deforms enough to increase size. It can be loaded to 1000 fps, IIRC. Lee makes a mold that produces the TC bullet with the microband base. These don't need to be sized, just use their liq lube to coat the bullet and let dry. I think I will use the Lee lube on my Penn bullets even though they came lubed if I push them to 1000 fps. If they function OK in my gun (100%), I may use them for carry ammo. A flat point will make a much larger wound than a RN. For those who use hollowpoints, the hollowpoint that plugs up and doesn't expand will act as a flat point not a RN so you will still be ahead of using RN ball ammo. The original diameter of the HP will determine the size of the meplat if plugged. Bigger is better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts