1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that best is a word that sparks a debate but I am looking for opinions on what dark finish would work best for my custom. I am getting a pistol for CC purposes made. It will be worn almost every day in a leather holster and once in a while in a Comp-Tac CTAC holster. I live in the NE so weather runs the gamut. Thanks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Had mine done in IonBond with 400 grit polished flats.

Seems to be holding up well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I like manganese phosphate. I can do it myself (you can too with a BBQ grill and a SS pot) so touch ups (redoo's) are a snap. It lasts pretty long. All my comp guns are done and even with dry fire it lasts a while.

Ionbond is the way to go if you can $wing it. M.P. park is for us cheap skates.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The grips are from a RRA Basic Carry I have (put VZ Grips on it); not sure who makes them.

The magazine is actually an 8 rounder from Novak.

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
I would highly recommend you check out Dave Severns Hard Hat treatment. I don't have first-hand experience, but everyone who has had it applied to their guns raves about it.

Give Dave a call or check it out at his web site:

Severns Custom 775-790-0681 www.severnscustom.com

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
follow up

I would highly recommend you check out Dave Severns Hard Hat treatment. I don't have first-hand experience, but everyone who has had it applied to their guns raves about it.

Give Dave a call or check it out at his web site:

Severns Custom 775-790-0681 www.severnscustom.com
Thanks. No info on his website yet.

I asked this question earlier and am just confused: do smiths do Ionbond finishes themselves or is it one company? The ionbond website looks big and corporate and does not mention guns.

·
Registered
277 Posts
They send them out to be finished, but they need to do all the prep work before they send it.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ionbond dealers

I just went back through the old posts (something I didn't know how to do when I started this one, sorry) and saw that Ionbond was only available from springer precision but that they were working on expanding their network. Has any progress been made on that?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd go with parkerizing.

Any pistol you carry every day will eventually show wear. Parkerizing may not look the best, but if properly done and maintained, is a good protectant finish. You can do it yourself on the stove and redo as needed.

I'd rather have scratches and wear on a finish I did myself for $10 than a $200-$300 finish.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I went with the Dave Severns HardHat treatment for my DW 10mm CBOB and I couldn't be happier, the finish is tough as nails, looks great and holds up to holstering like none other. I'd suggest giving Dave a call, he's an excellent smith and a great guy to work with!

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went with the Dave Severns HardHat treatment for my DW 10mm CBOB and I couldn't be happier, the finish is tough as nails, looks great and holds up to holstering like none other. I'd suggest giving Dave a call, he's an excellent smith and a great guy to work with!

Is Hard Hat a melonite variant finish or something different than both melonite and ionbond? I did a search on Hard Hat and everyone speaks highly of it (great gun by the way CK, love the crowned/flush barrel) but no one explains what it is? Happy Holidays to all and thanks for the info.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Melonite QPQ is 2nd to none.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts