1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Don't know how this fits in with real life but when shooting in an IDPA type match I have decided on a reload.

First of all, FTF could mean a faulty round, a light strike, no round, poorly seated mag or faulty mag. If it is the latter, a TRB is only going to result in another FTF. Trying to cover all the possibilities with the failure drill costs me time and brain power that needs to be focused on the original scenario (before the FTF).

Therefore, if I pull the trigger and get no shot fired, I reload, rack and go (RRG?). This drill works for a revolver just as well...gun go click...reload.

With this method, the failure drill is an action you are already familiar with - one less thing to remember in a gunfight. Also, you don't have to try to remember how many shots were fired before the FTF. You may actually be empty! Slides don't always lock back.

What do you guys think?

Mikey

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mr. Higginbotham,

I will re-evaluate my decision. Your recommendation, based on your experience alone, is enough for me to do a re-think.

My personal thinking has been that it takes me a second just to switch gears and perform a different movement than I would normally do if the gun was empty. I figured it was less confusing to my muscle memory. I also figured, perhaps improperly, that a FTF had a better than fair chance of being the result of a faulty magazine, resulting in another failure if the TRB was executed instead of a reload.

I have been somewhat spoiled by the dependability of the guns I use for carry and competition. I have gone many thousands of rounds without having to actually clear a malfunction. The "DUH" response is almost guaranteed should I have a malfunction tomorrow, hence my original response - gun no shoot...put in more bullets.

Mikey

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.