1911Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Originally posted by Mikey:
Don't know how this fits in with real life but when shooting in an IDPA type match I have decided on a reload.

First of all, FTF could mean a faulty round, a light strike, no round, poorly seated mag or faulty mag. If it is the latter, a TRB is only going to result in another FTF. Trying to cover all the possibilities with the failure drill costs me time and brain power that needs to be focused on the original scenario (before the FTF).

Therefore, if I pull the trigger and get no shot fired, I reload, rack and go (RRG?). This drill works for a revolver just as well...gun go click...reload.

With this method, the failure drill is an action you are already familiar with - one less thing to remember in a gunfight. Also, you don't have to try to remember how many shots were fired before the FTF. You may actually be empty! Slides don't always lock back.

What do you guys think?

Mikey
Not at all to be condescending - after all everyone has to work out their own emergency plan - but reloading simply takes too long.

I have yet to see the person who can reload *from concealment*, rack the slide and be back on target in less than 2 seconds (from the first failure to fire)... If you were already in serious trouble (else why are you shooting) then you don't have 2 seconds.

TRA (used to be TRB) takes less than 1 second. But I also like to stress that every reload and every remedial action should begin with a move... either to cover or, if there is no handy cover, to make yourself harder to hit.

TRA and clearing a vertical "stove Pipe" (which is sort of rare)are the only two remedial actions that I will attempt for real... the rest are corrected by pulling the backup gun.

Food for thought,
Jim Higginbotham

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.