1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a new carry handgun, and need it to meet a few criteria..
1 - Has to have a 5" or longer barrel, heavy match grade preferred. (I'm all about accuracy).
2- Has to be chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP.
3- Must hold at least 15 rounds (9mm), 13 (.40), or 12 (.45).
4- Must be lighter than 40 oz.
5- Must have 5 year + warranty.

I really like the new Taurus 24/7 OSS's coming out, they have a 5.25" match grade barrel. I also like the S&W M&P's, but do they have any models that have a 5" + barrel? Same thing for the SA XD's, although I like the S&W's better than the XD's (just cosmetic preferences).
I also have been considering a CZ 75 or CZ 85 Combat... their barrels a tad smaller than what I'd like (4.79") but I hear that they are insanely accurate... Anyone have any experience with CZ pistols? I own a couple CZ rifles, and they are great.
I already have a Beretta M9/92, but want something else.
I guess the FN FNP's are out of the questions, since I can't find one with a larger than 4" barrel, and thats just TOO short for me.
All of your opinions and suggestions are appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
What about the HK USP Tactical, USP Expert or the Glock 21?
The HKs are kinda huge for concealed carry but they have 5+ inch
barrels and are tack drivers.

You might have a problem finding a 5 inch barrel under 40oz?

·
Registered
159 Posts
GLOCK 35 Practical/Tactical 40 caliber 15 rounds, or Glock 34 9mm 17 rounds, both have 5 inch barrels, both meet weight requirements.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I would seriuosly consider the S&W M&P in .45. I believe the barrel is 4.5 inches but their customer service is the best in the industry.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I would not get too consumed with barrel length or accuracy concerns; the majority of us do not shoot as well as our pistols, and under dire need, "minute of 10 ring" is good enough. Reliability and ergonomics are the first things on which you should focus, and to some extent, the match fitted stuff tends to have higher levels of reliability issues. The G17 has been thoroughly debugged; the M&P (in any caliber) has developed a good record with folks more savvy than I, and the XD likewise except changing the sights is a real horror of a bugger of a nasty job.

The .40 is a solution in search of a problem, so I won't consider it and can't advise you on a suitable model as I don't think there is one. It certainly is not a Glock in 40; they have a horrible reputation. I have a USP 45, and it eats mag springs. H&K service has historically been the pits, but some here are now saying that they are getting much better responsiveness (the old level was easy to beat, but I hope they have gotten to at least an acceptable minimum).

·
Registered
552 Posts
I like the M&P. Your going to get many suggestions of what WE like.

I suggest you go shoot as many different guns as possible and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would pick the glock 34 but the new M&P .45 sure looks nice as well.... (which does have a 5" barrel by the way, the other m&p fullsize models have 4.5" barrels.)

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
best for you?

You seem like a Taurus type; why don't you try another one of those?
Or a better question: What is wrong with what you already own?

For ME, I prefer an insanely reliable gun.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Doug M again said:
It certainly is not a Glock in 40; they have a horrible reputation.
I see glock 40's run with high end limited guns, everytime I attend a USPSA match. What kind of reputation are you referring to?

I'm not saying to get a glock or a 40, but I don't see the issue.

Damascus: What's your budget?

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
hoo-boy

Last match I attended (A33102) I watched the top end of a 40 Glock come off the front......it looked funny.

:rofl:

FWIW, I have attended enough matches to observe Glocks, both stock and modified, fail on a regular "1911-like" schedule :grumble:

And for those who've been to a GSSF match, any comments?

:dope:

This whole thing is killin' me, because while the originator of this post did solicit opinions, he/she(?) will buy what they decide on......perhaps for no good reason other than they like the way it looks, or its price, or whatever.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,297 Posts
STI Eagle or Tactical.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Just one of many

simonsay said:
I see glock 40's run with high end limited guns, everytime I attend a USPSA match. What kind of reputation are you referring to?

I'm not saying to get a glock or a 40, but I don't see the issue.

Damascus: What's your budget?
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=general&Number=43700&page=15&fpart=1

I've heard of departments which allow the 9 or 45ACP in various formats, including 1911s, but which absolutely prohibit the 40 in any pistol. I need to find that info again; I think they even allowed some revolvers still.

·
Registered
9 Posts
concealed carry

I know it's not five inches but I just got a three inch springfield 1911 micro compact 45 and it is very accurate. I love the feel of it and I have a Smith 5903 and CZ 40P that I like but wouldn't trade the compact for either.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
evan1293 said:
I would pick the glock 34 but the new M&P .45 sure looks nice as well.... (which does have a 5" barrel by the way, the other m&p fullsize models have 4.5" barrels.)
S&W's web site lists the .45 barrel at 4.5 inches.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The Springfield XD45 Tactical is a 5" and you can get a match grade barrel for it.

The grip angle is pretty comparable to the 1911 and it maintains a grip safety as well. A "homemade" trigger job is pretty straightforward as well.

Also, SA makes the XD45 Compact Tactical...5" barrel/slide, with a shortened grip. The compact magazine is a 10+1 capacity and they also provide you, in legal states, with a full-sized 13+1 magazine with a sleeve.

I have the 4" XD45 compact and love it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanx for all of the helpful replies/suggestions!
@simonsay - My budget for a new sidearm is probably in the $800 - $850 MAX range... I'd like to keep my next buy under $700 though.
@Doug M again - I know that "match-grade" stuff usually doesn't survive torture tests as well as other types, but I never torture my weapons. I am meticulous when it comes to their maintenance/lubrication/and even their diet. I only put high quality ammo through my stuff, you won't find any Wolf ammo at my house lol. So yeah, I just prefer items that boast accuracy - I'm not the type whos going to carry anything but a perfectly clean weapon to defend my life with... and if I wind up in a situation where I am firing enough rounds to make enough buildup to start jamming a "match-grade" weapon, then I should have something more than a measly handgun to start with, and should be thinking more about flight rather than fight.
@Captain America - Thanx! I didn't even think about the HK's... Although a bit pricey, I was only aware that they made 5+ inch barrels on that, what is it called, Mark 5? That big .45 that has a threaded muzzle and costs like 2 grand lol. I've been out of the market for a little while, and hadn't been aware that HK has released a "Tactical" version of their USPs... that looks quite nice :) Do these have the famous octagonal barrels that are world-renound for unmatched accuracy? And I don't care about how small and concealable it is... I carry a full sized weapon when whatever my clothing is that day enables me to, otherwise, I have a Walther PPK-S as an ankle-mounted backup ;)
@WESHOOT2 - There's nothing wrong with what I have, I just want a new toy... anything wrong with that?? ;) And as for being a Taurus type... 3 years ago I bought a PT92-AR (Beretta 92 lookalike)... 1000 rounds later the lower frame, where the riser slides up and down (the thing that raises the barrel when the slide closes) wore out a burr into the frame, causing the gun to jam EVERY shot. I then decided that I would NEVER purchase another Taurus... 4 months ago, a friend of mine bought a PT1911, I shot it, and compared it to his S&W SW1911Sc, and bought one myself... and I will only say the following for the PT1911 - I would put it up against ANY brand of 1911 out there as far as accuracy, function-ability, and craftsmanship are concerned.
@Glock fans - Thanx for the input, I've just never found a Glock that I could stand the trigger pull on... A most dependable weapon indeed, just doesn't feel good to "me".
Thanx everyone!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Springfield XD is the choice I would make. The .45 holds 13+1, four or five inch barrel, weighs approx. 30 oz., and the Springfield lifetime warranty is second to none. You can break it in and if you decide that you need additional customization later on, the Springfield custom shop is superb.

I have the 4inch model and I just picked up the accesory kit from Budsgunshop.com which includes three extra hi-cap magazines, a double mag holder, and a case for $33. :rock:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts