1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I was shooting with my TRS at 50 yards. I couldn't keep a consistent group -- my shots were all over the paper. I knew I wasn't THAT bad, and I shot equally poorly at that range with my USP. I suspected the ammo was bad, but it was my usual range ammo -- Federal 230gr American Eagle.

This weekend I returned with my preferred carry ammo -- Black Hills 230gr JHP and shot the best I ever have at 50 yards. Which for me meant keeping them all on the standard 5.5" Shoot-N-See.

This was while hopping on one leg and using my offhand. ;)

Actually it was from a bench, with a sandbag under my wrists. But still -- I'm pretty proud of that group. I can only get better, right?

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Some Am Eagle has been known to have the occasional "flyer". Don't know what causes it but pretty sure their quality control is not as great as their best.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I always wondered how someone could see 50 yards away. I think I would have to use binoculars. Do you shoot long distance a majority of the time.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dd_king said:
I always wondered how someone could see 50 yards away. I think I would have to use binoculars. Do you shoot long distance a majority of the time.
Actually I rarely shoot at 50 yards with a handgun. I'm 34, don't wear glasses or contacts. My biggest challenge when shooting at 50y was focusing on the front sight. When I focus on the front sight, the target at 50y is very blurry. Hard to be keep the front sight centered on a target that out-of-focus. But I managed somehow. :)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
That is a very good assessment of the problems of 50 yard groups. I do the exact same thing. I try to get the front sight as sharp as possible and let the rest get really really blurry. That is the only way I can get really good groups at that range. It is sure fun to blast at 50 yds!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts