1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at amsec bf and sturdy safes. i want something in the 48 wide and 72" tall size or at least close to that.
so far i'm leaning to the sturdy but if someone can enlighten me on something better or higher quality im all ears
this is the sturdy i'm looking at

http://www.sturdysafe.com/model4824-6.htm
i was thinking of adding,firelining and the 4 gauge/3/8 door upgrade and either the extra steel on the sides or the stainless upgrade steel as with the carbide metal cutting blades that are now available the only thing that will slow them down is stainless.
any input is welcome.

thanks
pete

·
Registered
609 Posts
While a lot will disagree the two best safes for the money on the market are the FT. Knox and the American Security BF series assuming you can not afford the top of the line TL-30 rated Am. Security.
The FT.Knox allows you to add a stainless liner ( to prevent torch cutting) and upgrade the door, fire protection and body of safe. I suggest you bolt it down AND place it next to an exterior wall as the temperature in case of a fire will be way less than in the center of the home.
With both these safes you get an internal steel wall which prevents moisture from sheet rock (the most common form of fire proofing) rusting any gun that is exposed.Most safes have the sheet rock or gypium exposed and only painted over. While a safe may protect against fire temperature wise that does not mean it will protect against moisture or the damage from melting carpets. I have seen a safe that protected the contents in a fire but the moisture and carpet coated any exposed guns so rust resulted. The guns that were cased were not affected.
I time the FT.Knox Defender which does not have the fancy paint job but instead can be upgraded to include heavier body, stainless liner and upgraded fire protection. I would rather have these features than a fancy paint job.This model also does not have the unneeded "corner' bolts which IMO are hype.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
$5K is plenty to spend so you'll have no trouble finding a quality unit. Remember, we're talking about Residential Security Containers not safes. The difference is in how they are rated by UL. Safes are usually found in banks. RSCs are usually found in homes.

I bought a Liberty Fat Boy Jr., this is why:

This one is the lowest level unit you can get from Liberty. The thieves worked on it for about 3 hours and never got in. Liberty replaced it for free. This was installed properly by being bolted to the ground.

·
Registered
736 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
You can buy decent value price home residential units, combine that with a good home security system and that should do it.. Remember that thieves want things fast and easy, too in a hurry to try and be at the home for more than 5, 10 mins maybe 30mins.. But to be in a home for more than that, well, not too sure about that..

Make sure you have a safe that weighs 600+ up, securely bolted to the ground, you just don't have to get someone the opportunity to walk out the door with your goods... Also, insure your valuables too, that's another aspect that needs serious consideration. Many of us have some high end firearms. I personally know a gun collector who has just about every 1911 manufacturer out there, some 1911 are custom made, not including assault rifles, shotguns, long range guns, you name it.. Probably over a few million in just guns along.. However, his safe is as big as my master bedroom.. Almost like a garage size unit.. Amazing what money can but and do for you, huh? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have good insurance and only a couple guns right now,but I want a safe that will last me forever and provide a barrier from thieves.i requested a price from Fort Knox so I will see if they are in the ballpark.
I may also look into spending a bit more and getting a graffunder.
Since I spend a good deal of my life destructing things I want something with the thickest steel available.
Anyone know if the concrete fill product in a amsec is really hard like concrete or more of a Sheetrock/plaster product?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Amsec or Ft. Knox is the way to go at that price point, Amsec being a little more secure/expensive usually but I like a lot of the features of Ft. Knox. I have several FT. Knox RSCs. Love them. I have real safes too. No real comparison between the two other than they are lockboxes with a door. Real safes are a totally different animal. Look at the ones with the corner bolts. As you can see by the picture posted above, that is where a thief will start to attack them. They also offer a dual combo set that is really a great idea too Forget the fingerprint toys. As others have said, bolt it down with high quality anchors. No matter how heavy they are, remember that someone got it in your house, someone can get it out.

You could also buy just the door and frame from Ft. Knox and build you a room. Something to think about.

Also, no matter what size you buy, it will be full soon and you will want another. Buy twice as big as you think you need.

Like a fine firearm, this is one area I do not try to compromise on quality. Pay the extra money up front and you will not be disappointed later.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a Sturdy and have been very happy with it. The quality and design for what you pay are a better value than some of the other brands.

Firing lining should be a no brainer, but the added "metal" is buying more time that a professional safe cracker needs to overcome.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
...the added "metal" is buying more time that a professional safe cracker needs to overcome.
I find this an interesting comment. I don't see it that way at all. A professional safe cracker doesn't care what metal the safe is made of because he will attack, and defeat, the lock. You can't stop those guys. We buy safes like this to slow down the smash and grab idiots.

·
Registered
736 Posts
If your interested in showing off your collection then take a look at Gun-Keep Safes. They are built by a friend of mine out of Cheyenne Wy. They are designed to open flat against a wall for displaying your collection but securing if when its not being displayed. I'v seen it in use in jewelry stores as well as gun stores.

http://www.gunkeep.us/index.html

·
Registered
736 Posts
I find this an interesting comment. I don't see it that way at all. A professional safe cracker doesn't care what metal the safe is made of because he will attack, and defeat, the lock. You can't stop those guys. We buy safes like this to slow down the smash and grab idiots.
A friend of mine had a very nice collection. He came home one day and was ambushed at his front door. They beat him until they could force him to open his safe and then they took everything. He very nearly died in the attack. Safes are only a deterrent. Awareness is also a key element in security.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I agree with RASTOFF. A pro isn't going to look at my house and say to himself..."wow that guy must have a lot of money and some expensive stuff in his safe" I'd show you a pic of my little rancher but I'm embarassed ha ha
I have a Cannon and it will keep out any dirtball wanna be safe cracker that would be dumb enough to hit my house. Now if I had a $500,000 or more looking house then I'd be worried about the pro checking me out.

·
Banned
3,089 Posts
A friend of mine had a very nice collection. He came home one day and was ambushed at his front door. They beat him until they could force him to open his safe and then they took everything. He very nearly died in the attack. Safes are only a deterrent. Awareness is also a key element in security.
That'd be about one punch for me. Nothing in my safe is worth dying for.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
I'm really happy with my Liberty Lincoln. I hope to never find out how well it holds up in a fire or against a thief, but I believe it will hold up just fine, judging by everything I've seen and read. There are plenty of better safes out there, but there are many more that are worse. I got what I believe is good enough protection.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts