1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a relatively new handgunner and have been deciding on what gun to purchase for personal protection. It didn't take me long to decide that a .45 is probably my best option. My question is which of the plethora of .45 applications would be best for me? I don't have $1000 to spend on a custom gun, but want as reliable and accurate a gun as I can get for as cheaply as possible. I am sure this has been asked a number of times, but any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

·
Registered
254 Posts
ok, first, I'd say a basic 1911 is worth a look, big surprise there eh?? Something like a mil spec Springfield, a Colt 1991A1 or for a bit over the 600 hundred you mentioned, a Kimber Custom. If you'd decide to go with something other than a 1911 style pistol, and stay under the 600.00 dollar mark, then I'd look at Glock Model 21, or possibly a Model 30. If you'd consider a .40 as well as a .45, your choices would widen considerably, but sticking to .45 acp, a basic 1911 or a Glock Model 21 or 30 would be my suggestions. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

mavrick

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
If your wanting cheap and reliable I would recommend the Glock 30 or 21.I compete with my Kimber and carry my Glock30

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Depends on how new you are.If you don't own and shoot one now,spend 3-400 on a good 22 to learn to shoot a pistol,then get a bigbore.I learned on a 44 Super Blackhawk,and had to relearn on a smaller caliber to hone the skils.Still pull out the 'wimps' to refresh occasionally.When it comes to 45s,I'm prejudice to Colt.The newer SA mil-specs are much nicer than what I played with years ago.I'd say these are a good buy if you can't get a Colt or Kimber for a few $ more.Just my opinion though.Welcome to the board

PS. From what I've handled of CDs,you couldn't give me one.I put them a notch above the old Auto Ordnance.

[This message has been edited by rex (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
A stock Colt 1991A1 is certainly worth a look, but I would have to say a HK USPC .45 would be the toughest as well as the most reliable in my opinion. They are a little expensive, but you should be able to find a new blue one or definitely a very nice used one for close to $600.00. USP's incorporate the features of three of the best pistols out there. Light, polymer frame (Glock), German engineering/quality (Sig Sauer) and the ability to carry cocked and locked using a thumb safety (1911 style). Mine has never let me down. Shane

·
Registered
871 Posts
loswick, I know I'll catch flak for this, but for $600 - you're going to be looking at the used realm.

To be honest, it sounds like you want a handgun that will just work, am I right? Point and shoot - that's pretty much it?

If so, then I'd recommend a Glock 22 or a 21. (.40 or .45 cal)

You can find them for well under $600 even with tax. The G21 is popular so you might pay a little more for it.

If you really like the 1911 feel - then I'd suggest looking for a used firearm. You can probably find a used Kimber or Colt for around your price point.

-Nick

·
Registered
358 Posts
Loswick:

Since you posted your question on this forum, it's obvious you like the 1911's. Entry level Colt Commanders are going for $449.00 in my neighborhood, and as mentioned earlier, they are worth looking at. In the Washington area, you can probably find similar pricing. You can lightly customize that Colt as time goes by if you find some extra money. Another way to go is to buy a higher quality used 45ACP for $500 - $600.

------------------
Hero45
NRA Member

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was in the same position a while back, no regrets on my Springfield Mil-Spec.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Bought a Charles Daly and had enough left over for a few more mags, some ammo, a nice holster and dinner out.

------------------
Three Blocks Long and Two Lanes Wide...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help! These are great suggestions and I now have a lot to think about. Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.

·
Registered
113 Posts
loswick,
if its to be a general purpose defense weapon, and the first handgun in your collection, consider a snubnosed S&W .357mag revolver

1) lots available used, but even new WELL within your budget

2) available in all steel, steel&alloy lightweight, and now Titanium and Scandium alloys for ultralightweights. You can get a snubbie 357 that weighs 12 ounces! The recoil would be hell, but in a life or death situation felt recoil is the least of your worries. When carrying the other 99.99999% of your life, extra weight sucks.

3) as revolver lovers say, its "SIX for SURE"
Actually with a snubnose it's 5 for sure, since the smaller J-frame snubs have one less round for reduced size. If the gun is to be only for home defense, then you could get one with a larger capacity wheel.
In any case, revolvers present far fewer worries - if it's in good condition, it will fire. No sensitivity to different kinds of ammo, no failures to feed, no failures to extract, etc. Limp wristing is a nonissue with revolvers.

4) Revolvers can be shot from inside a pocket. Autos can too, but only once. Autos also cannot be repeatedly fired when held up against someone's body.

Buy what you like, but if youre looking for your one and only handgun, or in any event your first one, the snubnose revolver might be the better "all around" choice. It may not win any bullseye competitions, and it might not carry 20 rounds, but it carres 5 rounds of a potent caliber and you dont have to be anal about the gun to be confident it will function.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Acually, I was under the impression that revolvers could "fail to feed," especially in the high power rounds, like .357 or .38 +P in the very lightweight guns. The bullet can become unseated forward because of the massive recoil in the light guns and prevent the cylinder from rotating.

This is why finding the right ammo that won't do this in your gun is important...errr...several hundred rounds or so should do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Under $600. How about $450. for a SA Milspec and used the leftover dough for ammo! Seriously, The SA Milspec is about the best .45 for the dollar. I've put 2000 rounds through mine with-out a single ftf. This was 230 fmj, Lawman jhp, and Winclean 230gr. The Colt 70 Government I used to own gave me nothing but fits. I switched to revolvers because of the problems I had with .45 APC's.Saw the Springfield and gave it a try, and like I said, I'ts the best .45 I've owned.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts