1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. In my opinion, the best original capacity magazines are those made by MecGar.
As you likely know, MecGar made the OEM magazines for FN for a number of years. I've also had very, very good luck with surplus Ingles magazines. The KRD South African 17 rnd magazines I've tried have alls been reliable with ball in all of my HPs and MOST have been reliable with JHPs in my newer HPs.
Some have been reliable with anything I've loaded them with in my later guns. I've had one that was only reliable with ball and it's now relegated for "range work only."

Best.

PS: I think Wayne Novak is selling MecGar 13 rnd magazines at his site and that you can still get the SA 17 rnd from CDNN Investment Company.

For more information on HP aftermarket magazines, you might check the link below:
http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/bhpmagfaq.htm

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You Stephen A. Camp for the wealth of info on mags,
I am in Law Enforcement and this High-Power will be one of my weapons I am quilified with to carry on duty and I most likely order a few of the Meg-Gar 13 or 15 round mags.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,008 Posts
A buddy of mine just ordered three Mec-Gar "factory" mags from Novak's; $105 for three! Why are they so expensive? He thought maybe they were running low, but the Novak's guy said they had about 600 of them. The 17-round South African/Argentine mags are a great buy at $20.

·
Registered
75 Posts
$35.00 for a hi cap is as cheap as it gets. I bought six. The Mec Gar's are the best. Try getting a Glock hi cap for less than $80.00 a piece.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by Stephen A. Camp:
In my opinion, the best original capacity magazines are those made by MecGar.
As you likely know, MecGar made the OEM magazines for FN for a number of years.
IMO, the best mags are recent production (but still preban) commercial factory mags. mecgar may have subcontracted to make some mags for gunmakers, but I have no assurance that they apply Browning quality standards or specifications (steel type and heat treat included) to mags they sell under their own brand.

I use both MecGars and factory mags with no problems, but if I have to choose, I'll take Browning factory mags.

$0.02 !

·
Registered
158 Posts
Two questions:

What luck have you had with Pachmayr mags? I picked up three at a show NIB since I was on my way out the door, and the fit and finish seemed good. I haven't had a chance to shoot more than one or two magfuls out of each, no solid report on reliability yet.

Also, the mag that came with my gun was a somewhat greenish-colored mag, steel floorplate with no pad on the bottom. Would this be an original mag with a late '70's Belgian pistol?

Thanks-

Check Six.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts