1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Give me your opinions. Has to be easy to draw from, quiet when drawing, comfortable, and able to securely hold the gun while running.

·
Registered
153 Posts
JamesP,
One thing to keep in mind, holsters can be a very personal thing. A holster that works great for me, maybe VERy uncomfortalbe for you....

but we can talk aobut personal favorites...

My favorite IWB is an old, well worn GALCO ROYAL GUARD. It thin, light, and fairly rigid. It has a reinforced "mouth" for easy re-holstering. I've worn it concealed for years, and its extremely comfortable.

Lately I have been trying out a WISLON COMBAT FEATHERWEIGHT IWB, and I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical at first, it is really working out well. Very thin, very lightweight, and adjustable for cant. I like it alot. But I've only been using it for a couple of months, ...time will tell.

------------------
Will Fennell
www.camillusknives.com

·
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will,

I am actually after your personal favorites. The best testimony to a product is personal experience/use. Hopefully, I can narrow down the models I need to look at.

Definately don't want plastic/kydex. Looking for something for 1911 in particular. Have been carrying Glock in Safariland 5181 for some time. Ready for a change.

·
Registered
75 Posts
James P-

I have owned over 20 IWB holsters from just about every major maker and I have 2 definite favorites.

The Milt Sparks Versa Max-2 is great. It is secure, comfortable, and easy to put on and take off. It is the best leather IWB holster I have tried. I do not use the tuckable plastic clips- they seem very cumbersome. Looking at the posts on this forum and others, I am confident that you would be happy with a VM-2, as everyone who has tried one seems to like them.

That being said, the best IWB holster I have used, hands down, is the KyTac Braveheart. It is what I carry every day. It is similar in comfort and security to the VM-2, but offers a few advantages. First, it is FAST. The gun flies out of the holster on the draw, and the rigid kydex makes re-holstering easier too. Next, it is impervious to sweat. You simply rinse out the holster with water and towel it dry to clean it. Also, the rocklok clips are faster to put on and take off than the VM-2. Also, the kydex is thinner than leather, resulting in a thinner overall width. All in all, it is a better system IMO than any other IWB holster.

Like I said, I have been searching for the best IWB holster for years and the KyTac is it. I know you don't like kydex, but I didn't either until I tried it. You should at least consider it.

Another advantage of the KyTac- Joe at SKDTAC.com has the Bravehearts in stock for immediate delivery. I had to wait 8 weeks for my last Sparks holster (they are worth the wait).

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I have been useing a Mitch Rosen ARG DL for about a month now.And I will have to say,I have not had a more comfortable IWB holster in my life.I bought it used and it was already broke in.

------------------
Have fun & Shoot Straight

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I have not been a big fan of IWB hoslters but I bought a Sparks Watch 6 for my 1911. I wore it for a period of time. It was easy to get used to, thin, easy to put on and take off. However it is not a holster that you can wear for a period of time w/o the pistol being holstered, it will go flat.

Then I got an Alessi CQC/I, thicker and of a greatly different design than the W6. I've been wearing it for a week or so now. I'll admit that it took a while for me to get used to the added bulk but I would not trade it off for anything. Well, almost anything.

I can hold the holstered 1911 upside down and it will not fall out but when I draw the pistol is "there". I try to avoid running at all costs so I can not comment on pistol retention during that unseemly activity but I will wager that there would be no problems there either.

I like the CQC/I.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree with 45 Shooter.I just bought my first kydex holster(Ky-Tac Braveheart).It's lightning fast as well as super comfortable.I bought it because my carry weapon is exposed to extreme conditions(sweat and dust from refinishing hardwood floors)and I needed protection that other holsters couldn't offer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a Rosen ARG which is beautiful, comfortable and slow. Tried a Fobus and don't care for it but it's worth $20. Have several Blade Tech IWB that I like and one OWB that is ok but not tight to the body. Recently got a Ky Tac Brave Heart from Joe at SKD and I'm very happy with it. Joe had it in stock so I had it in a couple days, great service and he sent followup e mails to let me no the status of my order.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Take a look at AKJ Concealco Holsters (www.concealco.com). They are custom made, thin, comfortable, excellent workmanship and reasonable. Have one for SA Ultra-Compact, one for Glock 27 and one on order for 1911 full-size.

When you call to place an order Andy, or his very knowlwdgeable wife, actually TALK with you about exactly what you want, questions, any options, suggestions etc. Or just call to ask questions, they are very customer friendly.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
45 shooter,I have owned at least 15 IWB holsters.Vikeing,Bianchi,Safariland,Uncle Mikes,And Many more.Most of them cheap ones.

------------------
Have fun & Shoot Straight

·
Banned
982 Posts
Alessi GWH. The best presentation grip of any IWB, best reholstering, as comfortable as an IWB can get. Excellent retention and draw speed, built in sight track. The most rigid on the belt of any IWB. It will not collapse It has seen hard use and continued development over a 10 year period. Cut and sewn by a master holster maker, Lou Alessi.

·
Banned
982 Posts
The GWH has just recently been available from Alessi and BCP. Forgot to add the belt loop is sewn so the down side is putting it on and taking it off. If there is down side to that for you. I find the value of the other design features more important to me than convience.

[This message has been edited by Dane Burns (edited 03-11-2001).]

·
Registered
560 Posts
James
I have the Kramer horsehide unmolded sheepskin holster and it is very confy it is a clip on, lightning fast and can be worn with t-shirt and shorts in hot weather it looks kinda cheesee but is concealed so who cares.It is for a ruger p-97.
I also have a clip on bianchi 100 for a gov model that has a slide guard and it is ok
but it tends to rock.
I am waiting on an Alessi talon plus and just got a braveheart from SDtac mentioned above by the 45shooter.Ordered it saturday and got it today!!!Thanks 45 shooter!!!
I like the braveheart a lot,as posted above it does not rock, kinda of expensive for a plastic rig ,but as in everything you get what you pay for. braveheart is a very confortable and worth a try IMHO.
BTW I havent tried running with any of these rigs,just mowing grass washing cars and general house work.

[This message has been edited by CMC (edited 03-12-2001).]

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the Galco Summer Comfort. I carry a Kimber full size in it and it does the job for me.
This is the best I have seen (that is hans on anyway). I don't really have the access to other leather holsters...

[This message has been edited by kimbr45 (edited 03-13-2001).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
My personal favorite is a Don Hume IWB H715M. It is very concealable, comfortable and secure.

It allows a full firing grip, retains the pistol well, has a retaining band for reholstering and stays were I put it. All that for $25.00.

Later,

------------------
Director of Training

The HALO Group

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ky-Tac Braveheart. Has no back and forth rock, easy on and off, comfortable, very fast. This is what I used when I made Master in IDPA. Faster than any leather OWB I had used (and I have used plenty of them).

·
Registered
166 Posts
The wide loop on the GWH looks very stable and the rake looks just right. It looks, to my inexperienced eye, to be a great piece of work! In addition, I'd vouch for anything by Alessi. The Talon Plus is what my Glock lives in and I like it very much. It is the most comfortable IWB I've ever used and the quality is on par with, or better than holsters costing much more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts