1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Galco, Milt Sparks, Wilson Combat, etc. etc. What do you think is the best overall (including looks, durability, concealment, maintenance, and function) for the 1911 full size? Type of holster(IWB,OWB, or Shoulder) not important.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I build for the company who builds Wilson and Rafter S . I really like our own line of Rafter S holsters . Simplicity , style , beauty and very high quality all rolled up in one peice . All work is backed by a no B.S. warranty , it tears up you dont like it , we will take it back , your not happy with it were not happy with it either . Check us out at .

------------------
S.L. Caldwell
Leathercrafter
Rafter S Gunleather 417-277-5636
WWW.raftersgunleather.com

B

·
0 Posts
Alessi CQCS.
Easy snap loops. Fits 1.25 and 1.5 inch belts(the 1.5 inch model). VERY comfortable and ergonomically better than other stuff I've tried.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Amoung the top end holster folks, there is no "best." Waldon Holsters, Milt sparks, Mad Dog, Wild Bills, etc...Find one who produces the holster you want--their quality is all the "best."

Billy Ray

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe Kydex made holsters from makers such as Mad Dog, Side Armor, Blade Tech are the best.
This comes from my 25 years experience with using leather holsters of various types from names such as Bianchi, Safariland, Anderson,
Davis, Sparks, Blockers, Horse Shoe, Rosen, Alphonso, Galco, De Santis, Tex & Sons etc.

I agree that leathers are attractive but when
it comes to practicality, I choose Kydex.
However, of the leather holsters that I used,
I rank Rosen to be the best.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I really like my Wilson Tactical Assault holster, its Kydex with suede lining, very durable and fast to draw from.

------------------
Kevin

D

·
0 Posts
Both Wilson's Lo Profile and Tiger Shark are good holsters. Mitch Rosen makes an excellent, comfortable shoulder rig. I don't know whether he makes it for full size 45's, but does make it for the CQB Compact.

Hope this helps.

Dennis D. Carter

·
Registered
233 Posts
i have been using galco and hunter holsters. made of cowhide saddle leather. but im looking to buy iwb made of horsehide. dbl-pouch too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am very pleased with High Noon products. Their "Down Under" lets me carry my full size 1911 very easily, even wearing just shorts and a t-shirt. They also ship quickly which is nice. I never waited more than five days for a holster.
www.highnoonholsters.com

------------------
Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
JAFO216;
Well, you sold me. I contacted your boss at Rafter S and ordered an alligator holster, [yea, I know, why do I need a holster for an alligator],for a Shooter's Box review. Thanks for the heads up.

Dan C. Johnson
Accessories Editor-G&A Handguns

·
Registered
285 Posts
Dan , Thanks for your message , sometimes I think I am talking to myself until I check the order list and a bunch of folks off these boards names come up . Of course I have to decipher the nicknames sometimes . I look forward to building your holster , After all you never know when your alligator might want to pack some heat . You say you write for Guns And Ammo or Handguns , I am going through my magazines to read something of yours . I havent been reading much lately , to busy building stuff and chasin kriminals .

------------------
S.L. Caldwell
Leathercrafter
Rafter S Gunleather 417-277-5636
www.raftersgunleather.com

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Three companies that I've dealt with in the past year comes to mind, in no particular order:

Milt Sparks
Lou Alessi
Rusty Sherrick

You cannot go wrong with any of the above. High quality leather holsters and outstanding customer service. What more could you ask for?

One of our own Moderators, Mark Waldon also has excellent holsters. One of my buddies showed me one last year and it's well built. I just never tested his products myself so I'll just leave it at that. One of these days, I'll order one from Mark so I can have firsthand experience

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've always had fine results from Bianchi products. The #3S Pistol Pocket IWB is a particular favorite. Reasonably priced, great quality, readily available.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
> i have a drawer full of different makers holsters, but right now i'm useing a fist combination #14, with the velcro adapters #50. really neat, no loops or anything showing on the belt. easy to conceal,presentation fast, stable. i'm waiting for my waldon strikeback, for my new compact kimber. oops, i'm carrying an ultra carry, not a full size. raspy

[This message has been edited by raspy (edited 07-29-2001).]

M

·
0 Posts
What's the best leather for your 1911? The one that suits you of course.

As you can tell by the replies here, there are as many opinions as there are makers. And there are so many makers because one style doesn't suit everyone. Each maker has his own style and each offers several different materials, the most popular being cowhide and/or horsehide.

For the full size 1911 you can't go wrong with an IWB holster. Myself along with other professional quality makers like Lou Alessi and Tony Kanaley offer some of the best leather available. The quality and detail can't be beat.

------------------
Waldon Holster Co.
Custom Crafted Perfection

Quality Holsters at an Affordable Price
[email protected]
www.waldonholsters.com

1 - 20 of 23 Posts