1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got started in shooting steel plates at 15 yards. Interested in what you think the best loads and velocity is for this type shooting. Thanks in advance.

Bruce

------------------

·
Registered
550 Posts
Plates are generally set so that most anything will knock them over. But it depends on the type of plate and how you set them.

To me, plates are not an end in themselves, but a practice tool. They make practice easier by eliminating the need to tape paper targets, and by giving immediate feedback when hit, and, most importantly, they help you ovecome the tendency to look at the target when shooting. There is a natural tendency to do that when shooting reactive targets, and practice with them can help you learn to concentrate on the front sight instead of the target.

If plates are a practice tool, then you should shoot the load you want to practice with, regardless of what is needed for the plates.

I use a lead bullet load that simulates defensive ammo in recoil. It is much more powerful than necessary for plates, but defensive practice is the objective.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Originally posted by KLN:

If plates are a practice tool, then you should shoot the load you want to practice with, regardless of what is needed for the plates.
I shoot plates at a local range every Wednesday night. This is my main practice session. I use in the 45 acp, 4.2 gr 700-X with a 190 gr swcl. This is a light practice load.

When I hit the IDPA matches on the week ends, I switch to my IDPA loads, same gun and equipment. I try to hit the range the day before a match also.

I RARELY shoot my IDPA match loads during practice, only enough to verify function and point of aim. I always use practice loads for practice. This system works for me.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss

·
Registered
323 Posts
I find that 12 gage, #7 1/2 or #8 works best for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts