1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase a stainless Springfield Champion.I'm looking for ideas for lubing this gun.In the past I've used lubriplate on My ss revolvers but remember in the old days ss 1911's would gaul if not properly lubed.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I use RIG +P Stainless Steel Lube...works great on mine...I hear Militec is good.

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I use Brownell's Action Lube on my S/S pieces. It's synthetic moly-based, and stays put and isn't overly heat sensitive (won't "melt" and run off).

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Guys for the info. It looks like it will be a little while before I'll need the lube.My friend went over and bought the Springfield.Now I'll have to ponder on wether or not to use the same dealer or someone else to order another gun in as I don't know exactly how this switcheroo went on.
tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
57 Posts
The best all-purpose lube that provides enhanced performance, protection from the elements, and requires less maintenance than other lubes is Mil-Comm Products TW-25B.

Interestingly, Kleen-Bore licenses it, and sells it under their label too. www.bestdefense.com offers both online. But only Kleen-Bore offers the oil version.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I had this very discussion today and while the officer and I were deep in it,(trust me) some knot head Sgt stopped and said that Milk Of Magnesia was the way to go.

I swear that I am sober and have never done any street drugs.

This bumpkin Sgt said magnesium was the best lube for stainless steel and since it was hard to get just use Milk Of Magnesia. I could only think to ask him what flavor was best.

When we laughed at him he got pissed and walked off, I really think he was serious.

I really had second thoughts about posting this, but its a true story,,I swear it!!!

·
Administrator
72,095 Posts
Funny, I've just used good ol' CLP and things have worked fine. Then again, my STS Colt doesn't have a tight slide either.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ken,I would have thought of using Preparation H before Milk of Magnesia.LOL.But as others in this post suggest I'll probably use one or more of the traditional lubes.thanks Guys.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use CLP on my internal parts and Pro Gold
High Temp. greese or Rig +P Stainless Steel Lube (greese) on my Slide rails, Barrel lugs
and Bushing..............

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I think someone, in the spirit of scientific inquiry, needs to lube his/her SS 1911 with Milk of Magnesia. Inquiring minds want to know! Do the cartridges come out of the magazine easier, for example? We need answers!

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Are these lubes for lubing after a cleaning or are they combo cleaning/lubing agents? I am shooting my brand new stainless SA this Saturday and was contemplating what cleaner and/or lube to buy tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Well...I guess technically the MOM is an "internal" cleaner

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Break Free has a few different lubes:

CLP stands for cleaner, lubricant & protector.

They also have a pure protector tailored for long-term storage.

The best in my opinion is the LP, lubricant & protector only. Here in Las Vegas the CLP tends to dry out a bit sooner than the LP - once a week versus 3-4 weeks for a carry gun. If you are lubing during the middle of a match (say after 200+ rounds with 200 more to go), then the CLP may make sense to help lube & bring out some gunk, too.

I know a number of people who try each new lube but keep coming back to Break Free.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have been involved in many lubricant tests for military weapons from 5"54 cal naval guns, MK19 Mod3 grenade machine guns and even old slabsides. The hands down winner was always TW25,commercially it's TW25 B. In it's past,spray or hypodermic injector form, never heard of the oil type.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What about Wilsons lube? Is it effective on SS ? I just bought a TRP in SS so i was wondering the same thing. Thanks!

------------------
The only thing neccessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by PM 7:
What about Wilsons lube? Is it effective on SS ? I just bought a TRP in SS so i was wondering the same thing. Thanks!

Yes, Wilson's lube is good. It will work fine on S/S.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Problem solved.I went out and bought a Kimber Pro Carry with a SS slide and alloy frame.I'll be using CLP on it and I won't be buying from the unscrupulous dealer mentioned at the begining of this thread.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Tom,
I've had that happen more than a few times to me ! Never amazes me anymore, I just get angry! I called Kimber when I bought my SLE and some guy in the Custom shop said to use TetraGun Teflon grease. I've used it ever since, but not seeing it mentioned makes me wonder if there is something better! I do like the "grase" aspect of it as it tends to stay where you apply it.
Tom

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The hands down winner was always TW25,commercially it's TW25 B. In it's past,spray or hypodermic injector form, never heard of the oil type.[/B]
The liquid is available from Kleen-Bore. Very good lube. Little goes a long way. I use it for the trigger parts. If I'm in the middle of something and just need Lube right now! I just pour the CLP in, shake, and get back to it...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts