1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm ordering a Surefire 6p very soon, and I've been hunting around for a leather carrier. I don't see one from Milt Sparks (??) so I've had to look elsewhere.

So far, I've found the following:

Brommeland MAG-FLASH
Triple K from Cowboy and Shooter's Supply #920
Don Hume D425-A M/L
Andrews Custom Flashlight/Magazine Pouch
Davis Leather MPLC
Galco COP/MAG Paddle

So, am I leaving out any others? If so, please inform me.

Naturally, each of these carriers offers something nice and different. The Galco has a paddle version, and if it's well-designed, that would be a nice feature (easy on/off) -- then again, if it's not designed well, then it might move around a lot. :(

I like the Galco design for its simplicity, but I think I'd prefer a belt loop model.

My next choice would be the Don Hume model. I like the tactical black and the light sits down versus the high-ride position. The price is nice too.

The Triple K model is also another price bargain, and offers black leather with a basketweave option for only a few extra dollars.

Obviously, I'm basing my decision on looks since I can't view these direclty. I have no idea how these carriers will function in the real world.

Please pass on any good/bad points regarding these models or others. My only requirements: Surefire 6p and black leather.

Thanks!
-Nick

·
Premium Member
20,430 Posts
I like Brommeland's belt loop design. Whenever the loops are behind the body of a holster or carrier, the thickness/profile increases.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Don't forget Matt Del Fatti.
I like his SM-SF design best, personally, though he makes several different formats, and will custom make, to suit.

http://www.delfatti.com

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sawbones, does that picture you posted have another loop underneath the light holder? Is there a reverse pic of that model?

Most of Matt's products look really nice... I like the Shark-skin trim on the holsters. It should match my belt perfectly...

AZ Husker, I completely agree. I don't want the carrier to sit away from the body. I'd rather have it hug the body with the outside belt loops.

Sorry Trainer, I just never liked the kydex holsters. Feel too synthetic to me... I guess I just like the feel of leather.

Hmmm... any opinions on the two below?

Here's the shark-skin trim carrier from Del Fatti... but w/o the outside belt loop:

or the Don Hume holster:

-Nick

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Sawbones, does that picture you posted have another loop underneath the light holder?

Yes

Is there a reverse pic of that model?

I don't have one, but Matt will send you one if you email him via his website. He's really a very nice guy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have tried several of these type of mag/light holders and consider Lou Alessi's the best of any. The are compact, secured around a belt loop and easy to conceal.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
s4Waters, do you have a pic?

I'm a big supporter of Lou's work, and have dozens of his leather artworks, including single and double mag pouches, but I've never even SEEN a combo mag-flashlight pouch from him, didn't know he made one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't have a picture but Lou will email one to you if you email a request. I have tried the above mentioned combos and like this one the best by far. There is a pic on Carryguns.com.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey Sawbones:
Thank you for the endorsement!

Nickcarr:
So far, I build about 5 different types of mag/flashlight carriers (SM/SF). They've been very popular. Personally, I would rather carry the flashlight in a separate carrier because, if you carry more than one type of pistol (I'm guilty of that), you can get more use out of the carrier. Besides, in most cases, a combination of a single mag carrier and a flashlight carrier take up less room on the belt than the combination carriers. However many people seem to like the combinations. If you shoot me an email, I'll send you front and rear photos of the carriers.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Hiya, Matt!
Don't suppose my holster & mag pouch are ready yet?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts