1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on getting Wilson Combat 47D's. They hold 8 rounds and have the standard .350" base pad. I'll be shooting mostly hardball 230 grains for practice and then some personal defense loads (golden sabres and hydra-shoks). What do you guys think?

themao

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
For concealed carry, you can now get Wilson's metal base pads. They allow the mag to fit more flush, but still offer some weight to help the mag drop free when empty. I suggest them for concealed carry as the mag to place in the gun for carry. I then like to use the thicker base pad mags for spares since the extra base pad thicks helps assure positive seating during reloading, especially if you have a mag well.

As for the 47D mags, I find them to be great. Mk.IV voices a valid concern. Since the mags would most likely fail on the LAST round, if you have a fear of this issue, then use the mags as a spare. Then, if the last round functions, it is just a bonus. If it does not feed, you would have been out anyway, but this round you can probably get to feed by simply performing the first half of the tap/rack drill. On my full-sized 1911, I have only one 47D magazine that has caused me problems and both episodes were a failure to lock open when empty. The other 10 function as advertised in my gun. Really, the brand is not important. Wilson makes a good product with a good reputation across the board, but whatever type of magazine works flawlessly in your gun, get it!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use Wilson 47D's...8 rnds. I have had not a single FTF after 4000 rounds.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I'll probably do, is get one Wilson 7 rounder and then an 8 rounder. I'll test each to see which is better.

I live in IL, so conceal carry is not a concern of mine. I would prefer the larger base pads.

Thanks guys.

themao

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The Wislon 47D will probably work just fine in your gun. A couple of others I'd suggest trying would be Chip McCormick's Shooting Star and Power Mags.

All three of these "should" work fine in your gun but one may perform better to your liking than the others.

Personally, I prefer the CMC Shooting Stars because of the welded metal base plates, numered witness holes and 8 round capacity. I do own a couple Wilson 47's (7 round) and they've performed great in the short time I've had them.

It's mostly trial and error finding the best mag for a new gun. I think you've chosen a good place to start though.

Mac

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
No problem after LOTS of rounds with Wilson 8 rounders.

·
Registered
850 Posts
There has been a lot of talk about the 7 versus 8 round Wilson Mags. As well, all parties concerned have legitimate points.

The bottom line is what works for your gun, and what you are 100% comfortable with should a lethal confrontation occur.

Personally, I use the 7 round for protection because I have over 100,000 rounds through 3 guns using the 7 rounder without a Magazine related malfunction! I can't make that claim with the 8 rounders which have only failed to feed the last round 3 times.

3 failures gives me the "Heeby Jeebies" when I have those dreams where you hear a click when you should have heard a "BANG". :(

Just my .02 cants worth.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,219 Posts
I've used Shooting Star 8-rounders in my '91, with no problems.

·
Registered
850 Posts
If Colt or Mil. Spec. Mags work in your gun with 100% reliability then that is great. The issue in my mind is what folks label as 100% reliability which is a must for self defense.

For the sake of discussion, "Mil. Spec." includes Colt Mags which are indeed "Mil. Spec".

Here is my criteria for EVERY MAG. I use for self defense:

1. Each Mag must have no FTF's

2. Each Mag must have no FTE's

3. Each Mag must lock the slide open on the last round.

4. Each Mag must eject quickly and fully regardless of how many rounds it has in the gun including no rounds.

5. Each Mag must be made of quality materials and design which insures feed lips don't crack (very common with Mil. Spec.), base plates don't break off and they don't rust. They also must have a high quality spring inside like the springs fom Wolff to insure "Last Round Feeding" and a rounded follower top line design to help get the last round up into the chamber as well as an "Anti Cant" design that keeps the follower from dipping down in front causing the round to "Nose Dive" into the ramp. (Very common with some of the "High Capacity" Mags that I have tested.)

6. I prefer the "Staight Line" lips versus the "Taper Line" lips found on Mil. Spec Mags. This insures against 2 issues:

A. The round does not prematurely release from the top of the Mag which is an occaisional problem with Mil Spec Mags.

B. Due to the "Taper Design" of Mil Spec feed lips, each time a round is loaded into the Mag, and the round moves forward in the Mag to the chamber, the lips are being spread and this is what leads to the "Infamous"cracked lips. (I have many of these in my reject pile). With each round that you load into the mag and each round that is chambered, the structural integrity of the Mag lips are weakened.

7. Finally, each Mag must have a minimum of 250 rounds of my carry ammo (Hard Ball) run through it with none of the above mentioned problems. 250 rounds per Mag!

To easily monitor this, every Mag I have has a labeled number on the base pad so I can be sure I know if or when one develops a problem. It does no good in my mind to have to "Guess" or try to remember which Mag was acting up.

With this as my criteria, I have seldom seen a Mil Spec Mag demonstrate all of the above requirements faithfully. Even one of the above mentioned failures could be catostrophic in a real world encounter. Why not eliminate those failure options?

After 25 years of testing, my results have led me to use the Wilson 7 round Mag. Many prefer the 8 round #47D, but I have addressed my opinion in an earlier post found above on this.

For me this is the bottom line. If your testing alleviates any and all concerns about the functioning of your pistol, then you're good to go. It's just that I can still remember those dreams of hearing a "Click" when I should have heard a "Bang" before using Wilson Mags back in 1983.

Scarey Stuff!!!! :(

Finally, do a side by side comparison of the Mil. Spec. and the Wilson or other higher quality Mags. Just pressing down the follower inside the Mag will give you the "Quality Feel" I'm talking about. Smooth, silky, firm with no wobble fore and aft in the follower motion.

These are just my opinions and they are strong but well founded. As always, your results may vary. I know some others have.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I know this is something of a debate, but I do like the Wilson 8 rounders. They just work for me. I have always wondered if you used an 8 rounder but kept it loaded with only 7 rounds would it work better?? You would still have at least seven rounds in the mag, but the mag spring would not be full depressed. Would that make the spring last longer? Just a thought.

I also use the Wilson 7 rounders for my Kimber Compact. Works like water on glass. Smooth, never have problems with them. They are bit more expensive than others, but I spend good money on the pistol, why not on the mags that feed it??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts