1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Springfield "loaded" in stainless and in 45acp. I am wondering from other Springfield owners as to which mags they think work best in their guns? I would like to have at least 8 rounds. I was thinking Wilson, but are they really worth the price? Any help would be greatly appreciated, ER

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
My favorite 8 rounder is Chip's Powermag, I've had two for over three years and have yet to have any mag related failures in any of my 1911s.

That said, I still prefer the old fashioned 7 rounder :) .

·
Registered
259 Posts
Good Mags

I use mostly Metalform and Wilson Combat. I haven't seen any difference, but some say the Wilsons will last longer.
My eight-year old prefers the Wilsons. For him they are easier to load.:)
Garry (and Aaron-the eight year old)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I really think well of Wilsons. Expensive, but solid and reliable as hell. However, I'll stick with 7 rounders. I understand that a lot of the problems that existed with 8 rounders early on havev been mitigated, but I still think Mr. Browning knew what he was doing.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I like Wilson the best, Metalform a very close second. A lot of people have real good luck with the CMC Powermags (I'm just not one of them :)).

·
Registered
438 Posts
JeffC said:
My favorite 8 rounder is Chip's Powermag, I've had two for over three years and have yet to have any mag related failures in any of my 1911s.

That said, I still prefer the old fashioned 7 rounder :) .
I have both Wilson 47D and CMC Power Mags (five 47D mags
and eleven CMC Power Mags). I like the CMC Power Mags
better than my Wilson mags.

thanks

Jae

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have two C.M. powermags and 5 wilson 7 rounders all hve been perfect. had some FTF first round in earlier style C.M. mags.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
With Wilson's, you never have to replace springs, followers or any other part. If you drop them on the concrete and run over them with your car, Wilson will replace them. You only buy Wilson's once and you never have to replace parts. They will send you new parts or replace your complete mags. And if you have a friendly FFL order them from Brownell's, they are much less expensive.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
BillD said:
With Wilson's, you never have to replace springs, followers or any other part. If you drop them on the concrete and run over them with your car, Wilson will replace them. You only buy Wilson's once and you never have to replace parts. They will send you new parts or replace your complete mags........
I've always wondered, if you buy your Wilson mags from someone other than Bill Wilson himself would you still recieve the lifetime warranty?

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Yes,
You just need to send the mags back with a note saying they don't work and you would like them replaced. Include your name and address. About 5 days later, along comes the new mags. I have bought mags on the net and have had them replaced.

·
Registered
189 Posts
NoLimits45 said:
I recently purchased a Springfield "loaded" in stainless
Use your loaded coupon and get them dirt cheap!

Travis

·
Registered
529 Posts
In my SA Compact I've been very happy with the Metal Form 7 rounders with the orange plastic "saftey" followers. Ran a couple hundred rounds through them the other week without any problems.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mag-Pack and Pro Mag are very well made, relatively inexpensive, and have been very reliable for me. Everyone seems to swear by their expensive Wilson's, however... wonder if I'm missing something:confused:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
prefered mags

I have a preference for CMC Shooting Star mags....I use 5 10-round Shooting Star mags to compete in USPSA Limited 10 competition in my Springfield Loaded....I've easily put over 30K rounds through this gun using only the 5 CMC mags. Haven't had to replace the springs or anything....just keep shooting them weekend after weekend. I bought mine through CDNNInvestments a couple years back when they were $15/ea....don't know if they still carry them or not...but you might check them out.

And for my NRM Colt Govt Model....I use 4 8-round CMC Shooting Star mags....no problems there either.

·
Registered
438 Posts
ronceguera said:
Mag-Pack and Pro Mag are very well made, relatively inexpensive, and have been very reliable for me. Everyone seems to swear by their expensive Wilson's, however... wonder if I'm missing something:confused:
I've seen more complaints about Wilson 47D mags than about
CMC Power Mags. Power Mags are not expensive if you buy
from Midwayusa.

If my Wilson mags wear out, I don't think I'll send them back to
Wilson for replacement. Mags are supposed to wear out. Bill
Wilson is responsible for providing a quality mag which is free
from defects in material and workmanship. Getting free mags
from Wilson every few years is not right.

I'll replace my five Wilson mags with CMC 8 round Power Mags.

thanks

Jae

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Great, when those Wilson mags wear out, send them to me postage due. I will send them into Wilson for new ones.

·
Registered
438 Posts
BillD said:
Great, when those Wilson mags wear out, send them to me postage due. I will send them into Wilson for new ones.
I don't believe in taking advantage of good people. Bill Wilson
is a good person, and his company has the best customer
service anyone has ever heard of.

All five of my Wilson 47D mags have performed flawlessly. There
is nothing wrong with quality of material or quality of
workmanship with any of Wilson products I have bought over
the years. Perhaps Wilson products are a little more expensive
because people send back products which broke through no
fault of Wilson Combat.

No, the 47D mags, when they fail, are going in the trash. I'm
not taking advantage of people who are good enough to give
their customers benefit of doubt.

thanks

Jae

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I have talked to Wilson's people about this. This is part of their selling points on their mags. They know their mags are expensive but they also know you only have to buy them once. They told me to send my mags in when we talked. They wanted me to send my mags in. This is one of the reasons they can sell these mags for a higher price than Metalform or Powermags.

Jeez, how do you operate? If your Saab had a 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and the engine fell out at 45,000, would you not take advantage of the warranty? Or would you just think, hey, I got 45,000 out of it, I am not taking advantage of Saab because they are nice people. This is business and Wilson't business is customer service. And because they are good at their business, you think you shouldn't avail yourself of their customer service.

It is not taking advantage, but suit yourself, dump $100+ in the trash.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I misunderstood their policy or didn't read it carefully. I'm one of those that has bought replacement springs and followers for $8.00 each I believe... plus shipping.

I always assumed their warranty was for their mag bodies splitting, feed lips, etc, not for routine maintanence of springs.

It might be wise for them to "detail" their mag policy, since some buy replacements and others send them in for free replacement.
I say 'wise' since I have switched to mags that I can change springs much cheaper and don't need to replace the follower.
Performance is the same with the other mags, durability not sure yet, so price and replacement cost become a factor. If the replacement springs and followers are free...that alters the equation.

On the other hand, if they "open it up", they might get back more mags than they would ever want to see. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts