1911Forum banner

Best out of box 1911 for IDPA

2964 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  CorG
Hey guys,
I was wondering what would be the best out of the box 1911 for getting started in IDPA. I have a Springfield "loaded" package and like it, but I've also been thinking about a Kimber Pro Combat (from RGuns) or a Springfield TRP or Professional. Any thoughts? What would be the best gun for the money?
Thanks a million,
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
I think what you have now is fine if you're just starting out in IDPA. I would just shoot what you have for a while and see what other people are using and handle their guns too if you can.

You can always upgrade your Springfield at a later date as opposed to getting a different gun. Or you could just leave the Springfield the way it is and get one "out of the box" with the features you feel would work better than what's on the Springfield.....Just don't rush into anything if your new to IDPA. Shoot your gun for a while before you decide anything......Good Luck

· Registered
2,691 Posts
The Springfield you have is just great. Have at it.

Now, if the question was "I am going to buy a new 1911 to shoot IDPA, and I do not want to spend a lot of money, what is the best one out of the box for starting out?", then I would suggest the either your SA Loaded, a Colt 1991A1 or either the Kimber Custom or Custom Target. I prefer the Targets from Kimber because they have adjustable sights.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

· Registered
16 Posts
Hey John, you don't know what you're talking about!! Adjustable sights are a waste of time in IDPA unless you have to adjust for a lousy aim and imperfect grip along with stance. Get some training and learn how a real man shoots with fixed iron sights!!...........
:O

· Registered
2,691 Posts
G.

I really need them for those extra special competition (ready gamey
) loads. Have you noticed that those factory loads actually put holes in the targets.
I have to keep pasting them. With my reloads, they only get dimpled. I can use my targets for longer periods of shooting. I really need the elevation feature of the adjustable sights or I would not be able to hit anything.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

[This message has been edited by John Forsyth (edited 04-03-2001).]

· Registered
266 Posts
John, now a devout Tennesseean, was originally from Florida. When he shoot's IDPA targets with his handloads he usually just dents them a little. Sometimes, if the target is a little thin, he gets a partial penetration with the little piece of cardboard (chad?) still hanging. Usually he just makes a slight dimple but his 45 sometimes makes a "pregnant" dimple.

We try to score his targets "liberally" and give him credit for "shooter intent" but he always asks for a recount
I think we'll have to go to a more conservative scoring method and actually require holes in the target!

Mikey

· Registered
610 Posts
I've owned two Springfield "loaded" models and have had quality and reliability issues with both even after reasonable break-in periods.

The difference between the various models of Kimber, other than size, is simply cosmetics. The classic custom has the same barrel as the super match, just not the fit. I've been successfully competing in IDPA CDP division and IPSC Limited 10 Production class as well as Action Pistol (NRA) leagues with a classic stainless Kimber. I've made five modifications that are relatively inexpensive and can be done by anyone in 30 minutes.

Install and Smith & Alexander Magwell for a larger target for magazine changes and replaces the factory nylon pieces. During the magwell change, replace the factory 23lb. mainspring with an 18lb. Wilson. Add an extra power firing pin spring, a shock buffer to the guide rod (only on 5" government) and and set of Smith & Alexander checkered grips. The MainSpring change will drop you factory 4lb. trigger to 3-3.5lb.s

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.