1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know no one on here likes to give their opinion;)...but which model straight out of the colt factory is the best shooter? Gold cup? Special combat?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Special Combat Gov't would get my vote since its a custom shop pistol. I have never shot a modern Gold Cup. The old ones shoot very well.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I know no one on here likes to give their opinion;)...but which model straight out of the colt factory is the best shooter? Gold cup? Special combat?
I don't think there is a correct answer to this question. In theory a Gold Cup or Custom shop pistol should be the best, but you could buy a GI model and find out that it shoots 1 hole groups. Too many variables to give a certain answer.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
My Wiley Clapp Government is dead nuts on out of the box

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I'm partial to Gold Cups, but at this stage in my life, all out-of-the-box Colts are way better shooters than I am.

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
Remember also that guns are often laws unto themselves. You may find one pistol is hyper-accurate, and another one of the same model that is less so. I would expect the SCG models to be the most consistently accurate out of the box since they're Colt's top of the line model, but the truth is you may find a basic 1991 that shoots just as well. I would personally suggest you simply get the model you like best, since these days pretty much any out of the box Colt is more accurate than nine out of ten owners.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
Best shooter for what? Making small groups at 25 and 50 yards. There you have the SCG and new Gold Cups. My last SCG was 2006 and I did buy a new GCNM in Dec. of 2012. Bought a WC Commander a few months ago. It is a different pistol and not for making small groups at 25 and 50 yards. Did all of these guys go bang from round one out of the box. Yes they did.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Have owned more than a few over the last 10 years and for my money it comes down to two. One is a Custom Shop offering, one is not.

The non Custom Shop was the SS Gold Cup Trophy. That was a "one hole wonder" from shot one and so much so that I considered replacing the Bomar with a fixed rear and carrying that as an EDC. Was "scary" accurate in that I'd shoot a string and have to stare at the darn thing in wonderment. Many of my buddies shot that pistol too with the same experience.

The Custom Shop gun was a simple SS Series 70 repro. Eats all meals it's served and can almost run, shot for shot, with the Trophy when both are Ransom Rested. Nothing special about that one, other than it was fitted and finished by the CS. it's been my EDC for awhile now and can still outshoot me any time it's picked up.

Are these typical? Yeah, I think so. Colt is turning out some mighty fine products these days and numerous sources cite that they are the best seen in decades. So I think DSK's comment is pertinent here. Pick the model YOU like best and have at it.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Colt Gold Cup I got for Christmas 1990. Shot all kinds of competition with it and carried it as a off duty weapon too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Custom Shop gun was a simple SS Series 70 repro. Eats all meals it's served and can almost run, shot for shot, with the Trophy when both are Ransom Rested. Nothing special about that one, other than it was fitted and finished by the CS. it's been my EDC for awhile now and can still outshoot me any time it's picked up.

Are these typical? Yeah, I think so. Colt is turning out some mighty fine products these days and numerous sources cite that they are the best seen in decades. So I think DSK's comment is pertinent here. Pick the model YOU like best and have at it.
I hope the S70 I just bought from the CS is in roughly the same neighborhood as yours. I just picked it up last week and am going to the range to stretch her out this saturday. the criteria was for SD so up to 25 yds at the most...most will be much shorter than that. I am sure mine will out shoot me, but as they say...practice makes perfect!!!

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
My old GCNM is darn near a hole gun at 25 yds. I bought a new GCT about a yr ago. It was no great shakes. Not by a long shot. About a 4 inch gun at 25 yds off bags. Disappointing to say the least.

Rob At ACW is doing his magic on it. Oughta have it in about a week or 2.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
My Wiley Clapp Government is dead nuts on out of the box
Mine is! Made it instant favorite, and a Keeper!
I want another. Colt Custom Shop assures me these are production line built, from match slide/frames after the mods. (checkering and magwell chamfer).
Serious, these are what every Colt 1911 should be. JMO;)

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
My CCG and Wiley Clapp Commander are both very accurate as is my SCG. I'll have to have a "shoot-off" to see which is number one. :D

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Special Carry Combat.

Best non-EE or BLR guns from those guys in looks and function.

I dearly, dearly miss my consecutive numbered set of 3. I can be a total fool sometimes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts