1911Forum banner

Best OWB for a 3.5'' auto?

1421 Views 17 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  ed from pa
Hello all!!!
I'd like to hear your opinion on a good concealble and comfy OWB for my 3.5'' Kahr (all steel K40). I remember more than one member talking about packing a Kahr as a back up or even primary carry.
I have a wonderful experience with a Sparks TK60 for my full size 1911, but I won't carry it for CCW (only for outdoors/fishing trips etc). The TK60 happened to be so good for a 5'' barrel gun that I make a natural assumption that it will do miracle for a small 3.5 inch gun. However, I heard so much acolades about Alessi CQC, I am really conflicted about my choice. So, it is mostly between TK60 or CQC-S for my OWB.
Any personal stories, especially if you tried them both? I will especially appreciate your input on 3.5'' autos, like my Kahr. It can be different for 5'' 1911.
Thanks in advance,
Val
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys, I can't believe nobody here ever carried a 3.5-4'' auto in either CQC-S or TK60!!! Forget about a Kahr, I will be glad to hear your opinion on 3.5-4'' 1911.

I have another option, it would be Mitch Rosen's belt slide (express line). So, between Alessi's CQC-S (or belt slide), Sparks TK60 and Rosen's Belt Slide - anybody???

· Registered
64 Posts
Little Bigger

I have a 60TK for my Colt CCO, which is a bit bigger and it's great for CCW. Nice high ride and tucks nicely against my body for great concealment.

I have a Kahr PM9 and currently use the Alessi holster that I got off the Kahr website. Can't remember the model. It's not a bad holster either as it does what it needs to do. My vote would go to the Sparks as the Alessi is still tight no matter how many times I do the Ziploc treatment to it. The Sparks (my first one) still impresses me in that is gave me a great draw with good retention right out of the box. No other holster has given me that level of satisfaction.

· Registered
1,226 Posts
I plan to get a CQC/S for my K9. Right now the only holster I have for it is the Alessi WSDT and I need a good, concealable and comfortable OWB holster for it. Based on my experience with a CQC/S for my full size 1911 and my experience with Alessi products in general, I don't see how I can go wrong.

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
harrydog said:
I plan to get a CQC/S for my K9. Right now the only holster I have for it is the Alessi WSDT and I need a good, concealable and comfortable OWB holster for it. Based on my experience with a CQC/S for my full size 1911 and my experience with Alessi products in general, I don't see how I can go wrong.
Thanks a lot for your input. I wonder, is the CQC/S a high ride holster? The TK60 for a 5'' 1911 that I have sure is (and it is great). I found out that when my 1911 rides high it is a good combination of comfort and concealment. On the other hand, my K40 is much shorter and smaller in general. Even if it rides at the mid-level, it should be good.
Val

· Registered
13 Posts
I just read an article on the Blackhawk Askins holster. I picked one up a couple weeks ago for $50.00, for my Kimber tactical pro (commander size). It's a damn fine holster for the money. Good quality leather, brings the pistol in tight to the body, reinforced mouth for re-holstering, and cheap! Check it out if you're interested.

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dlim said:
I just read an article on the Blackhawk Askins holster. I picked one up a couple weeks ago for $50.00, for my Kimber tactical pro (commander size). It's a damn fine holster for the money. Good quality leather, brings the pistol in tight to the body, reinforced mouth for re-holstering, and cheap! Check it out if you're interested.
Thanks for the hint! I checked out their website, they don't make one for a Kahr. It looks good, though.
As I was told yesterday, another blow to my dreams: Sparks doesn't make TK60 for Kahrs. Oh, well...

Val

· Registered
3,837 Posts
Have you looked at Rafter S? I really like their OWB holster, but mine is for a full size.

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nathan said:
Have you looked at Rafter S? I really like their OWB holster, but mine is for a full size.
Actually, I had one. I just sold a RafterS set for my Kahr that I never used after trying it on. There wasn't anything wrong with the holster, it just didn't pulled the gun tight enough to my side. For my body it wasn't enough to conceal under light garment. In contrast, my TK60 for a 5'' 1911 does miracles. Go figure. But, as I said, they don't seem to make one for Kahrs.

CQC/S is very high on the list. I do notice that the Alessi belt slide is offered at the Kahr web site. As well as the Rosen's belt slide. I checked out the Tucker's HF1 and his pancake, they sure look attractive. Brommeland's leather and Bullman FBS are now considered as well, thank you friends for suggestions. We are lucky to have these great makers out there.

I guess I will have to compare photos from their web sites and decide which one rides high enough for my taste. I don't think there could be anything wrong with their quality and value.

Val

· Registered
3,626 Posts
Rafter S belts are my favorite, but their holster design does not pull the gun in tight enough. I wish they make a pancake, but they don't.

Jerry

· Premium Member
4,116 Posts
DoctorV;

I carry the K9 Elite in a Alessi CQC/s and could not be happier. In fact I'm looking for the mail each day as I ordered the same holster from Lou for my Commanders.

The holster is just great. Also Josh Bulman has a great holster in his QFDS.

But I do like the CQC/s for the smaller K9/K40s. They tuck in tight and conceal well.

Good luck,

· Registered
993 Posts
I don't want to criticize any holster makers . What works for one member here might work for another , might not . However , I want to say that I think the average person looking for a concealment holster probably would be happy with almost any offering from Alessi, Brommeland, Bulman, DelFatti, Null, Rosen, Sparks etc. It's when you try them all that you notice the differences.

I want to say here and now that Lou Alessi's CQC-S is the singular most comfortable and perfectly functional holster that I have ever tried. I wear it for the Kimber 3" , the H&K P7 , BHP , and Commander. It's superb ! You can sell it here in 1 hour if you don't like it , in fact , just email me and I'll buy it :cool: ...Tom

· Registered
107 Posts
Just picked up a 55BN from Milt Sparks, excellent concealment. Very comfortable while driving. This one has the FBI Cant. It houses a Colt Defender. I have the TK60 for the Commander 4.25, another excellent holster.

Semper Fi

ed from pa

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.