1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been an iron sight sort of person, and I also know that using an iron sight I will never worry about battery life. That being said, I am leaning toward getting at least one red dot to mount on an AR. The popular ones seem to be the Aimpoint and the EOTech. Which of these do you folks that have them prefer, and why? I have heard that the EOTech tends to be a bit more fragile, and it uses up batteries quickly. If I got the EOTech, I'd probably get one of the newer, more compact models.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have the Eotech 512. I chose this model mainly due to the use of 2-AA batteries. I haven't had any issues with durability or batterie life. The unit turns itself off in either 4 or 8 hours (your choice).

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Aimpoint Micro T1 or H1 (depending on your use and budget).
-I like the simplicity of the red dot
-Great battery life
-Lightweight
-Durable
-Great mounts and accessories available for it (LaRue, ADM, Bobro, etc.)

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm sure I don't have "the best", but I have the excellent Aimpoint Pro.

It is a great red dot optic, and the overall value is outstanding. Take a look at it and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Aimpoint Micro T1 or H1 (depending on your use and budget).
-I like the simplicity of the red dot
-Great battery life
-Lightweight
-Durable
-Great mounts and accessories available for it (LaRue, ADM, Bobro, etc.)
I second this.
I have both the EoTech 512 and the Aimpoint H1. Both are great red dots that will serve you well but for the reasons shown I would go with the Aimpoint.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Aimpoint mico. 5 year battery life if left on, unlimited paralax, available with a 2 MOA DOT, tiny, light as hell, waterproof and light as hell.

I would put that in the "best" category. Everything else pales in comparison to me

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Run a poll on ten forums and the vote will be split nearly 50/50.

My first experience with higher-end optics is with my Eotech 557-AR, so naturally I have a fondness for it even though it's big and takes AA batteries. But Custom2's opinion of the Micro mirrors my own.

They're both good. I bet you could find some local shooters that would let you try out theirs. A red dot's biggest draw, obviously, is speed so try to hit multiple targets from the shoulder. Just shooting a bullseye off the bench won't tell you much.

·
Administrator
10,888 Posts
Aimpoint has set the standard for reliability, durability, and battery life. I would consider an ACOG if I anticipated use at extended (>150 yards) ranges. If someone gave me an EoTech I'd sell it. I don't want a sight that turns itself off.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have two Eotechs and one Aimpoint PRO. If I were to do it all over again they would all be Aimpoint pros. Eothechs KILL BATTERIES FAST!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for everybody's input. Also, would it be better to mount the red dot directly to the upper, or have it in a mount? I know Larue makes excellent mounts; is there anything else better/comparable?

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Thanks for everybody's input. Also, would it be better to mount the red dot directly to the upper, or have it in a mount? I know Larue makes excellent mounts; is there anything else better/comparable?
That is personal preference, absolute or lower 1/3 cowitness is up to you. If you have a fixed front sight the lower 1/3 helps keep the sight out of your sight picture with the red dot. If you have fold down sights it may not matter to you.
American Defense also makes good mounts.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All my carbines have fixed front sight bases on them. I would prefer to have the sight post away from the red dot as much as possible.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Best Aimpoint Micro T-1, Budget Aimpoint PRO, Worst Eotech

·
Registered
403 Posts

I've got both Aimpoint and EOTech and my carbines have all fixed standard front sights.

I'm a very long time Aimpoint owner for about 24 years now and an EOTech owner for around 8 years so far, and also I had several other Aimpoint models before, from my long experience with red dot sights I would vote for Aimpoint.

My first Aimpoint was a model 2000 way back in 1989, I was using it mostly on my target 1911 .45 pistol on an aluminum grip mount, they didn't have the mounts that attached on the front of the frame yet long ago.

I agree with other members statements about the durability, reliability, and long battery life of the Aimpoint, my EOTech have no problems just as said before shorter battery life but still very reliable, also a nicer larger field of view.

Aimpoint have different models to choose from, if you like a lightweight compact optic get their Micro T-1/ H-1, for good value at reasonable cost the PRO model, for heavy duty use their M4 model, and the CompM2, M3, ML series are medium size and weight (ML series are not night vision compatible).

My noted LaRue Tactical QD mounts are both high mounts so the iron sights sits at the lower 1/3 of the optic field of view, the irons are out of the way, we call that lower 1/3 co-witness.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
You can't go wrong with Eotech or Aimpoint. I have an Eotech EXPS2, which runs on CR23 batteries. These have a long life, and are relatively cheap from Amazon. I buy them by the dozen. They work in Surefire flashlights too. The Aimpoint Pro runs on the same batteries, an unlike the Eotech, can be left on and ready for at least two years (the Eotech turns off after 4 or 8 hours).

The reticule in the Eotech is somewhat better for quick acquisition. It has a 1 MOA dot inside a 65 MOA circle. I have an Aimpoint 3x magnifier, which works with the Eotech too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
May not be the best but it is the best for the money, Primary Arms Micro Dot. I scored mines for $60 complete with riser and I have absolutely no complaints. Great sight for the money.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts