1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two shotguns that need new pads fitted, I am an avid do it yourselfer and am willing to risk a pad to see If I can get a good result. Both stocks are stripped at the moment for refinishing and they are plain, no cheekpads or anything to work around. I dont have a 12" disc sander, but I do have a 6'' disc and 1'' belt combination machine. Can I get by using the belt and a jig? I dont need speed of production, so if it takes a little longer thats ok. Can you do it with an oscillating drum sander?

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
The last two I did were mounted on the stock and cut down with an angle grinder using a #60 disc. I wrap the end of the stock with fiberglas reinforced packaging tape. A couple of wraps right where the stock and pad meet protects the stock, if you're careful. Finishing up with the bench mount disc sander is probably easier to control. I've done it with a belt sander in a vise also. The angle grinder method is easier.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the insight, the handheld belt sander did cross my mind but I think I will use the bench sander. Ill let you know how it turns out

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Been decades since I shaped a butt pad, but with what the gunsmith
charged me last time, I will doing it myself. I can buy a nice sander
for what he charged.

Anyway, what I used to do is shape the end of a scrap piece of
2X4 to nearly the shape of the butt, and attach the pad to it. So
I could grind away on the pad with no fear of damaging the gun stock.
Or my fingers.

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts