1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bout a 9 year old Exec. Elite, the night sights are dead. What do you folks recommend as a replacement? Send back to Ed Brown for the current version or something else?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Something Else

Ya might wanna check out "Alchemy Custom".com and talk to Rob or Jim...Sights are a personal choice with that being said I Personally like Heinie Ledge Straight Eight set-up....Some people like a gold Bead front sight,Looks good But I think its over rated....YOUR BEST bet is to do some home work and give Alchemy a call...(309)944-1911....Best of Luck To Ya !!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I like the 10-8 rear sight, and a night sight up front. The gold bead is nice, and will never need replacement, but it doesn't "pop" like a night sight. YMMV. Brown can do any of the install, or if your comfortable try it on your own (research first).

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I've got trijicon hd night sights on my special forces. Fantastic sights. Bright orange by day, tritium by night.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Most Trijicon sights are warrantied for 12 years. Go to their website and fill out the form. You will get an email response within a day. The year is on your sights. If it is less than 12 years and they are dim or dead they will probably replace them.

I have replaced one set on an EB EC with a 10-8 .140 rear and a Novak front with white dot now painted brilliant red like we painted serrated revolver ramps for years.

The other pistol an EB KC will get a 10-8 and a brass bead front sight. But first I will try the U notch with the existing tritium front sight.

A third less used 1911, a Kimber will keep its night sights for now.

I am not a fan of 3 dot sights. The rear sight dots are distracting.

All 3 of these pistols came that way from the manufacturer. The EBs were used so you get what it's got.

I find the tritium to only be useful in industrial strength dark when you can't readily identify a target. I was an early adopter 20+years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Just bout a 9 year old Exec. Elite, the night sights are dead. What do you folks recommend as a replacement? Send back to Ed Brown for the current version or something else?
Congratulations, the Executive Elites are great guns.

Sights depend to some extent on what you want to use the gun for and what conditions you need to shoot in. Also, they are an individual preference. What one person likes may not please the next person.

For a very fast acquisition, a pyramid U-notch rear sight with no tritium or dots installed on the rear sight works great, especially in about a .14 inch width. My favorites are the ones Wilson is turning out now, which they could install as their back cut is Novak based. You would have to check with Wilson on which rear sight model to buy though as their front sight is a little taller than normal for some of their rear sights and the Wilson front sight does not fit the Novak front, which Brown uses, last I checked.

I like the gold rod from Novak as a front sight in combination with a laser grip. I also like a tritium front sight with just a plain rear sight too. Brown could install both of these front sights in combination with a .14 inch 10-8 rear and you would have a very nice set up. This last would have the advantage of keeping everything simple. Coincidentally, this set up is what I am going to put on a Kobra Carry slide that I will send into Brown.

Wilson has an adjustable rear sight that you could change the blades out on. As an expensive experiment, I had their gun smiths mill out various types of sights to different widths and then installed the base, adjustable sight on an Ed Brown Executive Target. After the whole experiment, my favorite combination was a pyramid .14 inch rear blade with a gold rod from Novak.

Good luck with whatever you go with!

Regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts