1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at sights that might be easier than 3 Dot. Heinie has vertical dot on dot, Novak has vertical dot on bar, and Ashley has vertical dot on post. Has anyone found one configuration intuitively more usable than another? It seems the Ashley pumpkin on a post style might be the quickest easiest read.

Thanks.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Well, for GENERAL use, I like the 3-dot setup. It is fast (for me), and I get a very nice flash sight picture without trying too hard.

If I am strictly punching holes in paper, I prefer a plain black rear and front post, with a fairly wide notch out back to show a lot of light around the front sight.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I too prefer 3 Dot's, though intuitively, I would image that a verticle arangement is easier.

I have tried the Ashley Express, and the Big Dot, in a shallow V is fast, just not really designed for precise work at distance.

For me, the "8's" by Heinie, or a Dot/Post arrangement will cause me to try to make the Dot's or Dot/Post touch, so I natuarlly shoot lower. Bar/Dot's aren't much better.

Without removing and reinstalling the Tritium capsules, or filling, and re-drilling the dots, this can be difficult to properly regulate for me. Horizontal dots just seem to work better, for me...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
If you go with a 3 dot set up make sure to get a green front, and either a yellow or orange rear. This helps eliminate the chance of misaligning the dots. Don't laugh it happens and you are wide left or right; worse yet you just sent 230grs downrange into the unknown.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Where would be a good place to get 3 dot night sights, mep or trij for my Kimber Classic? Shops here charge too much to get it and more to put them on.

------------------
Isn't this the land of the free?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Has any reputable firm done any tests to show what type of sights are easier/faster to pick up or reaquire? That would be interesting info!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think the Ashley's are outstanding; I love them. While I have very limited experience with the big dots, I have the normal size dots on both my Glocks. For IDPA, they are fantastic. I do not feel that they limit long range accuracy for me. I can pour shots into the IDPA head at 25 yards with no problem. I can't shoot more accurately than that with any sights. (I haven't shot Heinie's, and I can't imagine what the big deal is about them. I have shot Novak's, and I don't see what the big deal is about them.)

In fact, I find them (Ashley's) so fast, that when I'm on the clock, I feel I can shoot more accurately at long distance because I get the sight picture so quickly, I can take a moment and pretty it up a bit.

Again, I can't quantify the differences you'd get with the big dots. I was worried that by getting the small dot, I might be losing accuracy and not getting the speed benefits of the big dot, but I know now that there is no compromise - I get the speed without losing the accuracy.

By the way, Ashley's are also significantly better than conventional sights in very low light, because the silhouette contrasts strongly on anything but a completely dark, black target.

This summer, I shot my 1911 exclusively for a couple/three months. (It has standard Wilson night sights on it.) Things seemed like they were going pretty well. When I abruptly switched back to the Glock 17, I noticed that I immediately shot faster, more accurately, and with less effort than I had with the 1911. I think the Ashley's were a significant part of that.

Jeez, I just read this, and it sounds like I ought to get some money from Ashley for all this gushing. But these are my experiences, and that's the way I feel. Maybe I'll bring it to their attention and ask for sights for the 1911.

Best of luck,

------------------
2cats

Glock 17, 19
Wilson Protector
Colt Police Positive .38 Special
Smith & Wesson 19, 41
Browning Hi-Power Standard 9mm

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you do decide to go for the AO express big dot or small, spring for the extra expense of the tritium rear bar as well. I had some Ashley sights on an old Beretta Cougar of mine (tritium front only). While doing night exercises, anything outside of 5 yards becomes guess work, and that ain't good. Try before you buy, because I certainly wasn't pleased to learn that $150+ lesson. I say MMC makes the slickest sights I have used, though I recommend the green front/orange rear config of 3 dot. Very fast and precise placement under all light conditions. Kimber has a great custom shop though, and the prices on the Meprolight sights are fair. Another issue if you have them do the installation is fast turnaround time. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by ~/|ristotle (edited 10-22-2001).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok, Tritium sights are good (and available in many flavors too).
I'm looking for some pros/cons to the red dot sights (i.e. Optima 2000).
I can have one installed for about $60.00 more than tritium, and something about the red dot appeals to me.
I have a Kimber Compact Stainless for defensive and IDPA/target use.
Anyone out here have good reasons to save the $60???....or good reasons to spend the $60?

I'm looking for peer justification.

Regards

Bill

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have a Kimber with adjustable target sights and am very dissapointed in. I have a Kimber with fixed sights and like them. I have a Kimber with Prosights and am really starting to love them. Their like Ashley sights only smaller. I shot pop cans at 37yds last week with them in three shots. A friend shot pins with them much faster than with his normal iron sights. I think I will replace the Kimber adjustables with Heinie Straight Eights. I need some night sights.
As far as red dots go, the C-more is the only one I'd buy for a full power pistol.
Just my opinion, Max

1 - 12 of 12 Posts