1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried my friends Ed Brown 9mm 1911. Wow! Who You do You think makes the best single stack 1911 in a 9mm? I checked out Springfield PI9134l. Looks good. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
172 Posts
SA and STI

I have both a SA and a STI Trojan. Both are great shooters and enjoyable, but I tend to lean more to the STI.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Honestly , I didn't know that Ed Brown made a 9mm , but since he does you already shot the best one :) . I do want to comment that I prefer the .45 ACP in every way except for ammo cost though...Tom

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My group of shooting friends all became 1911 9mm converts over the course of the last several years and I'd be happy to pass along our observations.

For the money the STI Trojan is a great running gun. One friend has two Les Baers and they too have been fantastic- and have a nicer attention to detail and more conventional look than the STI- not that this matters a bit but they are nice guns. I'm sure the Ed Brown you're looking at would be similar.

The Springfield guns seem to run pretty well too but again, lack the attention to detail.

I use Colts myself- one stock and one is a Series 70 that had a full house job on it. They run like mad.

Magazines seem to be the critical detail- I've had good luck with Colts and great with Melatform.

Good luck! They are a ton of fun.

Brent

·
Registered
602 Posts
It's my understranding that Ed Brown will no longer special order any 9mm. You can call them directly to verify.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kimber for the money you can't go wrong. Also Wilson Combat is supposed to come out with the 10 rounds for the 9 MM at the end of the year

·
Registered
346 Posts
Dumb questions - I just bought the SA 1911 Service 9 mm, would all the above mentioned magazines works in it?

Thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
All the above magazines sure will work in your Springfield.

FWIW, from an IDPA perspective the standard 9 round magazines are the way to go- 9+1 gives you a nice even number to work with.

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
I have the STI Trojan and love it. The secret to the 1911 in 9MM is the recoil springs. My Trojan came with a 14# spring which was just to strong for the 9MM. Went to a 11# spring and no more problems with the slide not locking back on the last round. Great gun and very little recoil. Para has out a single stack .38Super now and I am trying to convince them to produce it in 9MM. Their .38 Super has been sold to the Australian market for sometime now and is new to N.A. I also have the Norinco NP 29 which is their 1911 in 9MM, it too shoots great Costs about 1/3 the price of the STI and aside from fit and finish is jsut as accurate and functional as the STI.

If you have not shot a 1911 in 9MM you owe yourself a favour IMHO.

Stay Safe

·
Registered
346 Posts
Brent Chambers said:
All the above magazines sure will work in your Springfield.

FWIW, from an IDPA perspective the standard 9 round magazines are the way to go- 9+1 gives you a nice even number to work with.

Excellent! Does Wilson make 9 mm single stack? I have a few 47 mag for my 45... and I need to get some extra 9mm mag for IDPA+others. I checked and there are the original SA and the Metalform, any other one(s) you guys recommend that is good? I was told that SA "may" offer a 10 rounds 9 mm for 1911... that would be even better!

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Joe D said:
Go with the Kimber. Everyone I have talked to that has one loves it.
I bought a Target II in 9mm and it wouldn't work until I pulled all the internal firing pin safety crap out of it. It runs fine now.

I also have a Rock Island (highly modified) that started life as a .38 Super. It has been a good gun but the parts seem to be somewhat soft and I wonder about its long-term.

Both guns feed ball ammo about 99% with .38 Super mags. I have had excellent results with Metalform's "Springfield" mag with the groove down the front.

My $.02 would be to get a Springfield and then modify it as needed. It probably won't need much more than a trigger job and a mag well. Or you can get a frame and slide from Caspian or Essex, depending on your budget, and have Virgil Tripp build you a nice single stack.

Here's the RIA.

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
" have had excellent results with Metalform's "Springfield" mag with the groove down the front."

I bought two of these two months ago and one has cracked where the mag release hole is. Looks like a stress crack from where they bend the mag body to make the groove. They are Metalform mags and I am going to send it back to them. I doubt they will do much for me but don't really care, the mag is nouse to me the way it is.

Stay Safe

·
Registered
881 Posts
hkfooey said:
Dumb questions - I just bought the SA 1911 Service 9 mm, would all the above mentioned magazines works in it?

Thanks! :cool:
Order the mags from the orange sheet that comes with the gun, you wont find them cheaper anywhere else. You can order basepads for them from brownells and other places if you want basepads.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
MrChicken said:
Order the mags from the orange sheet that comes with the gun, you wont find them cheaper anywhere else. You can order basepads for them from brownells and other places if you want basepads.
What do the mags run if ordered from SA? Brownell's has stainless ones for something like $17.00 each.

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
now

I just picked up a used SA P19134L (because I didn't want to chase brass at matches, yet I wanted a 1911 platform).

Bought THIS ONE because it was a great performer for prior owner.

Brought it home yesterday, stripped it into every littlest piece; nice gun.

Gonna 'tweak' it some, but nice.
Or, nice enough (paid $625 with eight mags) :rock:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
WESHOOT2 said:
I just picked up a used SA P19134L (because I didn't want to chase brass at matches, yet I wanted a 1911 platform).

Bought THIS ONE because it was a great performer for prior owner.

Brought it home yesterday, stripped it into every littlest piece; nice gun.

Gonna 'tweak' it some, but nice.
Or, nice enough (paid $625 with eight mags) :rock:
The few examples of Springfield's 9mm I have seen have been nice pistols.

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
weird truth

I have never truly cared for Springfield 1911's, but now I have two :scratch:

Okay, the first one, a 45, has now had its frame extensively modified by me to fit my hand; high under-cut under the trigger guard; radical S&A beavertail fitted. Feels almost like my Caspian single-stack now :rock:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts