1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a favorite synthetic ivory grip to recommend?
Has anyone had experience with the aged faux ivory?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I don't use it much, but I did buy some Ajax grips for my Colt Government .380 ACP, they worked fine. They had good fit, they were very ergo, and they never chipped or cracked.

I heard an urban legend that the ones I bought were from a vintage when they used the ivory dust from piano key factories and mixed it into their resin.

I do not know if that's true.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have two pistols with Tru-Ivory. One is an Ed Brown 1911 Commerative. The other is a pistol built by Drake"s Gun Works. The fact that Ed Brown used them for his pistol is a great endorsement. Iwouldstrongly recommend them. Eagle Grips and Altamont grips have a faux ivory line.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Probably the most "real" looking synthetic ivory are grips made from white paper Micarta.

This is made from sheets of pure white paper. Since this is in layers, when grips are made and the layers are visible, it has a grain that looks VERY much like elephant ivory which grows in thin layers and has the same type grain.
There are several makers who offer grips from paper Micarta.
It even ages to an ivory-yellow look.

The grips that are made using "real ivory material" are made of ivory dust that's mixed with a polymer.
They have no grain, any more than plastic.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've tried the synthetic ivory and did not really care for it. I've got bone grips from Boone Trading on my SR1911 and Wilson now and they have cured me of my grip buying addiction. Sorry I don't have any pics.

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
Glad to see folks seeking the fake ivory. I was friends with a fellow who had worked in the field against ivory poachers. By "worked" I mean fought with an FN FAL.

His descriptions of shot elephants found with their tusks hacked out & left to die really soured me on the whole real-ivory thing. He saw elephants trying to comfort the dying ones.

He said that the poachers usually have AK's not proper big game rifles. So there's a lot of shot elephants that run off to die elsewhere or live with horrible wounds. Often the poachers are fund-raising for militant islamist groups.

But I like the look of some of the higher-quality fake grips, especially on blued guns.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Legally taken ivory has no more to do with poaching than prescription medicine has to do with meth. When big game hunting is shut down for political reasons, wealthy hunters no longer are paying for game management and everything that goes with it. That is when poaching and the black market trade prospers.
And btw, there's no such thing as an "elephant with it's tusks hacked out and left to die". Elephants don't put up with stuff like that.
L.

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
Yes, there IS such a thing. When an elephant is shot by poachers, they have little concern for the animal. If it's down & unconsious they will take the tusks & leave. Time & silence is of the essence when there may be armed wardens responding.

As for legally taken ivory, I agree with you. There's nothing wrong with taking properly-managed game.

The problem is verification. Corrupt officials will do what they do. There is an immense illegal ivory trade feeding demand in Asia. Much has faked documentation.

In US & Europe there is much stricter enforcement, so less of a problem. I doubt anybody buying ivory grips stateside is getting an illegal product.

But plenty of people in China are buying ivory products with bogus & untracable paperwork.

In June the Phillipines will have a huge burn of non-or unverifiable documented ivory. About five tons. Too bad that about six tons have dissapeared from storage! Again, corruption stinking up the trade.

I've been following this stuff, since the 1980's, mostly in National Geographic, ever since my friend first told me about his experiences in Africa.

So when I used to make knives I used a fake ivory product for spacers that I think was made of linen. I also used what was sold as legally-taken walrus but, hey, who knows for sure?

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Sorry, I find that hard to believe, and if it did happen, it's a freak occurrence. There aren't many rifles that will render an elephant unconscious from a head shot, none of them are going to be used by poachers.
Do I think poaching is a problem? Of course. It's a huge problem. I just don't agree with virtually any of the politically correct remedies, nor the spin that's attached to so much of it. Please tell me how burning 5 tons of ivory in the Philippines will help anything. It's as effective as gun by-backs are at fighting crime. These are "solutions" from people that believe there should be no hunting. These same people have helped create the black market trade that they now don't have the financial means to stop. And what's their master plan? Burn $10 million of confiscated ivory. Brilliant.
L.

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
Yes. AK's ARE used to kill elephants. I'm sure they would rather have some fine English double rifles or bolt action safari guns but AK's are what they have, so that's what they use. We are talking about some very poor people here. Also in use are soviet light machine guns. Again, because they will use what they have.

My souces are solid on this.

I agree that burning the ivory is more symbolic than effective.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
In US & Europe there is much stricter enforcement, so less of a problem. I doubt anybody buying ivory grips stateside is getting an illegal product.
I like to believe this too, but there is still quite a bit of illegal ivory in the US. The trouble is older ivory is legal and undocumented. A US pool cue maker a few years ago got arrested a couple years ago for illegal ivory.

Ivory and diamonds are similar in their harvesting issues, but ivory comes from poached elephants. I know their are legal sources, but those are more rare.

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
The accounts of ivory taken from uncouncious elephants & elephants killed with AK's came from a friend of mine who had fought against ivory poachers. He was a fellow, ex military, that was a serious guy. He really did not speak much about what he had done in his life but according to the small group of guys he associated with, the man had been around in a big way. He had their respect.
One of the guys in this small group of friends was Al Schaufelberger. Al was a stand up guy too. A Navy Seal. Sadly, he became the first US advisor to be killed in El Salvador in the early 1980's.
If you Google Al's name you will see a letter (I have the original) from Ronald Reagan to my Dad about Al & his service to our country.

At the time all of this was going on I was pretty young. I met this circle of dudes from my job at a range of a Fort. Ord gun club & contacts at the Defense language Institute in Monterey Ca.

When I see camo-clad "tactical" dudes of questionable experience, I think of the guys I knew back then. They were the real deal.

Sorry to digress from topic. It's just that this thread got me thinking about this stuff.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Tru-Ivory is the shiznit imo as far as synthetics go.

I prefer polished elk stag from Patrick Grashorn as well (grashorn grips) but if you're going synthetic, Tru Ivory is the way to go. Does NOT imo, look like plastic at all.

You might also try shopping around for good ole cow horn. That too has grains and is often found waaaay less expensive than either of these options (other than plastics). Sorry I don't have a pic, but I have a set for a 1991A1 that can easily be confused as ivory. You just have to shop around for them. Got my set off of EBay IIRC for about $20.00.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
I have a set of scrimshawed faux-ivory from Sid Ryan. He sells on Ebay. They fit , feel and look great.

The Giraffe-bone grips on Ebay lately look very nice.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts