1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to increase the width of the rear sight on some of my handguns.
A regular flat file would work, but got to be careful to not increase the depth of the notch.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
You need to find some needle files that are (safe) flat on the sides. That way you only cut on one plane - the sides of the sight notch, not the bottom.

Brownells sells them - so do a lot of hardware stores, and Home Depots, etc.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,056 Posts
I have just such a file, from Brownells, and I've used it on a half-dozen sights. 1/8" wide, it makes a very fine cut, and is safe on both sides.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Here's the one Brownells recommends: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...itle=SWISS+PATTERN+PILLAR+FILES&s=16506#16506

I bought one last summer, but when I needed it last week I couldn't find it. But I found I did have a cheap set of needle files that had a small flat file with one safe edge. That's the main thing, that it has one edge that doesnt cut.

Worked great, sights are much easier to align with a little light on either side of the front sight. I use this one for Bullseye.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Brownells dovetail files are very good, they have 2 safe sides and come in 60 and 65 degree angles. Be sure you get the right one.

xx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts