1911Forum banner

Best Way to Carry P-14?

1285 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  George
I want to carry my P-14 concealed, on or behind the right hip. Have to take it off and on about three times a day. Wearing untucked shirts in warm weather and jackets when it's cooler. What is working good for you? Many thanks. G
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Ok George Ill give it a shot.

Im kinda in your boat. Mine is allways worn in work under a pull over shirt. My gun is removed when I sit in my chair and placed back on as soon as I get out of it. It is carried in the Fobus Paddle. I can tell ya that after 2 years with the same rig it has not given up the ghost yet. I sometimes just wear jeans with no belt and have not had any problems with it pulling out during drawing(Fobus put really aggresive finns on it). It also is still as tight as the day I got it and have not noticed any problems with retention. Best part is that if I have to clean the holster I just hit it with windex, and put a little pledge furniture polish on the inside. I know that it dont help on speed but it keeps dust from sticking to the inside and scratching the guns finnish. Up intill I got my P-14 I carried a SA govt in it with no problems either.

Some people say the Fobus is junk and to go with Uncle Mikes new KYDEX, but I like the height that the pistol is on the Fobus, or really just used to it. As for people saying that the rivits loosen up, well it just has not happened to mine.

Best of all the holster is 20$.

------------------
Semper Fi
yans

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GS -- Hey, thanks! I've been lugging the P-14 around in an old holster just to get the feel of the weight and bulk. I know it would be easier with a good Alessi, but it may still be too much iron....so I'm trying to convince myself that the Wilson CQB Compact is my only alternative. So far, so good. G

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yans - I didn't see your post till mine was up. Thanks. I should have thought about the Fobus paddle. I have one for the Glock 19 and for a J-Frame. No trouble with either one of them. They pull the gun tight to the body, and they really hang on the belt or waistband. But what is your system for taking it off easily? I'm going to go online here in a minute and order one. Easy when it's only $20. Thanks again. G

· Registered
21 Posts
George
There really is no way to get it off easy. Just loosen the front of your belt and pull up and twist to your front. It will free up the lips off the inside of your pants.

This might sound paranoid of me but I have a second one that I took the paddle off of by drilling out the rivits and screwed into the bottom of my desk. This was done so that I can allways have it within reach. The clinic where I work has a lot of drug addicts coming in and out so the company has me as the only Therapist that is armed.

I also have a Blackhawk fanny pack that I use alot when Im going from office to office. It aint fast, but it also works.

Ps. if I am needed they page DR STRONG and give the room # when the panic button is pressed.

------------------
Semper Fi
yans

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yans - I've read posts on other boards where people have disassembled Fobus paddles and screwed them under desks, beds, dashboards and so on. Sounds like a good idea for the duty you have there. As for the P-14, mine has operated perfectly since I got it new with a bunch of hi-caps in 1994. I use 230 Golden Saber. G

· Registered
74 Posts
p14 and the lda fit most all of the iwb holsters, i like the ky-tac braveheart with the clips for 1.5" belt but others work just as well - more expensive than fobus but more retention too

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another two holsters recommended to me are the Alessi CQC/S OWB, or the Talon Plus IWB, as well as the Ky-Tac. I'm hoping I can get away with OWB, with probably the Alessi first. Checking out the Fobus because I've had good luck with them. I notice that the P-14 is only 2oz heavier empty than the average steel 5" 1911. 40oz vs. about 38. The problem for me has been the printing of the P-14's butt.

· Registered
1,890 Posts
I'm a full time LEO and carry ALWAYS. My favorite mode of carry is an open topped inside the pants rig on the right hip. This conceals very well because most of the piece is concealed by your pants, and all you have to cover is the grip area, basically. Having the piece well concealed, easy to draw, and securely contained in the rig are more important to me than being easy to zip on and off. I use a desantis leather rig. I hate paddle holsters, because they feel like an E-tool in my pants. I usually wear a leather vest over the piece in the summer, this conceals well, looks good, and not out of place.
If concealability is a big priority, the Shadow or Stealth type square rigs will conceal anything with almost any kind of clothing, but do not retain the weapon as securely. I worry a lot about the weapon coming out of the rig during a scuffle, as I am much more likely to have to wrestle someone into custody than shoot them, so this is an important consideration for me.

· Registered
3,171 Posts
Hi George,
You might want to check out a Safariland model 560 holster. Its a paddle holster and I've found these very easy to wear for long periods of time. They have several ajustments on them so the wearer can tailor them to fit. They have a piece on the paddle that secures the holster inside the pants when one is drawing the gun and a roller inside the holster that assist in drawing the gun. You can adjust the holster to hold the gun as tight as you want. I think retail on the holster is about $80.00.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

[This message has been edited by Hunter Customs (edited 11-19-2001).]

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the added info. I'll take a look at these. For the time being I have a Mikes paddle - but I need to go IWB with the P14 and will look at the Desantis, and maybe the Execs and Alessi's Talons. Thanks. G.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.