1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Vendor
1,643 Posts
Good advice from all above.

Suggest you practice in relative slow motion perfecting the steps and feel of what you want to accomplish. Go for smooth and effortless, not fast and forced.

As you gradually build speed don't allow yourself any shortcuts, do it like a martial arts form. Be rigorous with yourself.

At the start, the weak hand moves away from the pistol toward the spare mag as the strong hand drops the empty magazine. The two actions occur simultaneously.

If you have to reposition the gun in your hand in order to reach the mag release (I do), learn to do that smoothly with only the strong hand. Don't let the weak hand "help" to reposition the gun before it leaves to retrieve the new magazine from your belt.

As the weak hand brings up the new mag, the strong arm bends, the strongside elbow comes in toward your body and the gun is canted just below your line of vision so you can watch the magazine begin to go in the magwell when you practice.

Also always complete the mag change with a complete and proper two-hand grip with the sights on a pre-selected target. This means your weak hand must smoothly transition from slamming the magazine home to reacquiring the support hand grip.

Your goal when finished mastering this is to fire a shot at seven to ten yards, change the magazine and fire another shot within 1 and 1/2 seconds while hitting the "A" zone. Many can do this in even less time.

When I started shooting IPSC in 1981, the El Presidente drill was a common standard. The drill was to place two shots in each of three targets at 10 yards, reload and repeat two shots in each target. That's 12 shots and a reload in under 10 seconds.

As skills improved the El Presidente changed from a fixed time drill to simply dividing your score by the time it took.

Most good shooters can do this exercise in under 5 seconds with all A's now. I don't know if anyone has busted 4 seconds yet, but I suspect so.

A smooth, reflexive reload is a major part of this and many other IPSC/IDPA skills.

You probably wouldn't want to stand there in front of armed bad guys with no cover and try this.

BTW, Jeff Cooper taught me this drill in 1981. He also told some great tall tales.

------------------

·
Vendor
1,643 Posts
HeadHunter said, "I admit to being a strong hand "flipper" but I don't advocate it in most cases."

I also read some good reasons HeadHunter gave to use the weak hand to control the gun while dropping the magazine before reaching for the spare mag.

HeadHunter, is this what the tactical pistol schools are teaching now? I must be out of step with current thinking. Oh well, I'm just an "old flipper."

------------------
In dealing with government remember that for every "freedom from..." you gain,
you lose a "freedom to..."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.