1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perm. marker? Scratch in plastic basepad? Scratch in mag tube?

I'm looking for something that is subtle and doesn't make my mags look like crap.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I'm sure that there are better, more cosmetically appealing ways to do it, but I simply scratched a small number on the tube itself. No one sees my mags except me, and I don't even see them when they're in the gun so this method doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I use a Dremel tool with the small round carbide bit. I use it like a electric pencil engraver. Or take them to the mall and have it professionally engraved. You know, the one that engraves the door knockers,plaques and zippo lighters.

[This message has been edited by JoeMc (edited 05-19-2001).]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, going to the mall is a great idea. But that just gave me a better idea (and a reason to buy a Dremel tool).

How about a Dremel tool and stencils? Looks professional (or at least clean) and probably at a fraction of the cost (not including the Dremel of course
).

Great suggestion. Thanks.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
That mall idea isn't bad, just as long as they realize what they're dealing with!!! This ain't no key tag that they are clamping in a vice with superhuman strength, in order to engrave it. Sure would hate to see you with some flattened tubes that have real pretty engraving on them

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I've used one of those etchers that use stencils, a liquid and electricity. Tool shops use them to mark drills and taps. I got mine at a tool supply place for 60 70 $.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
I number mine with an electric pencil engraver. I just sent one back to Wilson for not dropping clear of the pistol. We will see what they think of it.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've got to echo BillD on this one.Several years ago I was told by a friend to mark My mags. with an electric pencil.Not only does it help identify a troublesome mag. but also lets You keep track of who's mag. is who's when getting ready to leave the range.similarly we all mark our brass with different color magic markers so We don't get someone elses brass.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
370 Posts
use a plastic labeler, stick it on the bottom of the mag, seen some people use computor generated paper labels, small marker on or near the base of the mag would work too and isnt as permanent as a dremel tool. in case you want to change the number or sell the mags

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by Jim V:
I've used one of those etchers that use stencils, a liquid and electricity. Tool shops use them to mark drills and taps. I got mine at a tool supply place for 60 70 $.
Jim V

What's the liquid in this equation for

Ross T.

·
Registered
44 Posts
At the area 6,and at most major matches a guy has a laser engraving machine that is run by some advanced software.$20 buys an engraved slide.A couple bucks a mag and it's perfect.Whatever font you like the options are as limited as the artwork in a print shops type software.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts