1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was a gift from my wife, so I want to get it put back right. I left it in my pocket and it got washed. What type of adhesive do knife makers use? Two part epoxy?
I would assume both surfaces need to be cleaned and preped.

The handle is some type of bone. See pic below.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Suggest cleaning the surfaces really good and making sure the surfaces are rough, not slick.
Then a decent grade of 2 part epoxy. Clean the edges with vinegar to cut the epoxy.
The scales on a quality knife will be pinned or riveted on also, not depending completely on glue.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had my wife wash a bone scaled knife and it looked miserable. I placed the knife in bowl of mineral oil for a couple days. If I were you i would epoxy the bone back in the knife and then after a couple days to fully cure i would submerge the enite knife in the oil. I used a small kitchen bowl for this treatment. I don't know if your results will be the same as mine but, the mineral oil got the color back in the bone on my knife.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not yet. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to polish it up, glue and perhaps give it the mineral oil treatment this weekend.
I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
461 Posts
great I can finally go to the rest room. I have been sitting here waiting to see the results, too. wheeeee, I will check back ! I want to see too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Most knife makers use a product from 3M. I don't remember the tape name, but if you call Chris Reeves Knives and ask them what the 3M product is they use, they will tell you. Especially if you explain why you want to know. The tape material is so strong that once applied, the only way you will get the part back off is to machine it off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts