1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am guessing the best way to ship a 1911 is to separate the parts into two containers, one for the frame, which is serialized and will need all of the extra attention (fees) and then the slide and parts in another box merely insured for their value. Shipping just the frame in the box that has to be shipped two day or whatever would make the fees less since it is only the frame, which weighs quite a bit less than the entire pistol.

What do you recommend? I've seen Bud's has a service associated with it for shipping guns.

Thinking of having a slide and frame nitrided.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
1. Take it to your FFL.
2. Ask them to ship it via USPS.
3. Pay the fee.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Agree, let the FFL do it. Splitting the gun into two boxes would not help. Two boxes would add up to more than the single shipment.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If your just getting the slide and frame coated you don't need a FFL to ship. Just wrap the parts up put in one box and use what ever shipping method the company doing the work prefers. Do get insurance.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Another vote for letting a local FFL dealer ship. Mine charges a flat fee of 25.00 on top of the USPS medium or large flat rate box. You could easily get a 1911 in a decent case in a medium box priority box with appropriate insurance. It will save you dollars over UPS or FEDEX that require overnight shipping.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It always takes Us about $100.00 or so to Fedex a complete 1911, including 4-5K insurance, I thought it has to be 1 or two day express delivery, signature required. All of my coating services pay the return freight with a reasonable minimum Invoice total. If you got a friendly FFL, so much the better on your shipping expense!

·
Super Moderator
14,678 Posts
I used to recommend asking your LGS to ship for you via USPS as a cheapest cost method. But, after reading innumerable threads on this Forum about slow/poor/lost item USPS service, I would not risk it with my pistol. I'd just pay the FedEx $75ish fee and have confidence the pistol will get there properly.

·
Premium Member
5,315 Posts
I put handguns in a 'book' size moving box with lots of paper padding.
Paying for registered mail would probably be worth the fee if using an FFL and USPS.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Registered mail costs more, keeps the package in the system longer as it must be signed for/ controlled at every distribution point. Pistols can be mailed by FFL’s but must go common carrier if shipped by an individual ( as I remember being told by my post office).

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Id your FFL is not a total dick, he'll ship it for you at his cost. Via USPS its like $13 + insurance within the CONUS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts