Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the 1911....

1) Mecgar
2) Chip McCormick
3) Mitchell
4) KRD south african (w/9rd adapter)

I bought a couple of the KRD's, and they seem a little flimsy(havent test fired yet). KRD made an excellent 17rd mag for the BHP, but I'm afraid they screwed up their 1911 10rd'r. Any one who has experience with the KRD for the 1911, please chime in.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Chips are the best. Sorry to hear you bought those KRD's. Absolute junk. Do a search and you'll find my, and a couple of other's, experiences. CDNN advertises them as "Original Military Contract"... just gotta feel sorry for those Argentine grunts.

[This message has been edited by imashooter2 (edited 10-18-2001).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I only ordered two of the KRD's along with other stuff, they were only $6 each. I'm glad I only ordered two! Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've used both CMC and Wilson 10rd magazines. The Wilson's regularly failed to feed in both a Gold Cup and custom Caspian pistol, plus the "stop lip" broke off on one. Still using the CMC's with no failures to date.

·
Registered
259 Posts
For the money the CMC mags are the best, IMO. They work everytime and save you money to boot. The new style Power-10's have a removable baseplate. I am switching over to these exclusively.

I used Mec-Gars for a while, but the backside of the feed lips began to crack after about a year of use. They still work without any problems, but it bugs me and I don't use them anymore. Another thing with the Mec-Gars is that the small bump at the back of the mag does a poor job of preventing over insertion (when you run the gun dry and the slide is open). This is a big deal in a match.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have only had experience with the Wilson 10-rounders. Not had a jam with them. I like them!

·
Banned
217 Posts
I have a couple of MecGar 10rnd mags and I'm not impressed with them. The lips spread which makes them prone to spitting rounds on the ground when jarred.

They're the only 10rnd mags I own, so I can't comment on other brands.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I vote for CMC. I have 4 of them..no problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
KRD 1911 mags

I bought a few KRD 1911 mags from CDNN. They function fine in my Kimber as well as my Colt series 80 when using the 9rd. adapters. I did not use the 10 rd. floorplate. It was too bulky. I don't know if these mags are made in the same factory as the S. African contract Hi-Power mags, but the carbon steel looks the same and is VERY hard. All mags I have tested dropped free with no trouble.The follower is similar to a Wilson 8rd follower but has thinner polymer. The followers wanted to ride high so I adtusted the follower spring coil downward.
These make great range mags for less than $7. The mag. bodies are very strong. If I were carrying them for defense I would replace the follower with a Wilson 8rd. follower,(which I already tested and works great,) as well as a new Wolff Mag spring cut from 18 coils, custom tuned for extra capacity. If these modifications were not cost effective, I'd buy the 10 rd. Mitchell mags made by Cmck.:p

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
First good report I've heard on the KRD's. I foolishly bought 5. They gave great stoppage practice in my 1917 vintage commercial Colt. One of the 5 jammed up with the follower stuck at the bottom of the mag. Removed it from the weapon and tapped it on the bench... ZING! Spring and follower are somewhere off in the PA woods.

Like I said before, gotta feel sorry for those Argentine grunts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The rounds tested through these KRD 1911 mags. were Federal Hi-Shock JHP bullets. I think if these mags. are worked with, and used with the 9rd. follower, they will perform well enough for daily use. I would not carry these mags. for defense without the follower and spring upgrade. They are worth $7 I guess for the mag. bodies alone (which seem to be well made) and for range use with ball or ogive hollow points.

I wonder how they would work through a Ballesta Molina...:p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts