1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent my LDA to Checkmate Custom for plating. When I got it back it won't function. Clearly the LDA is so new that anyone not in the organization does not know what they are doing. I now have to send mine back to the factory for proper detail assembly. Very irritating.

· Registered
211 Posts
And for those of you who don't know it, George Smith from EGW is about the #1 smith for LDA in the US right now.

[This message has been edited by Newton (edited 09-08-2001).]

G

·
Gentlemen, the LDA is complicated but not impossible to dis-assemble and put back together, I have done this and have had no problems, you will need a lot of patience and a detailed listing of how you took it apart. I have put 400 rounds through mine since I worked on it (just to see how complicated it was).
1hour to get it apart and 3 hours to get it back together. Not for the faint of heart for sure.

· Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Originally posted by PKRCKR:
Gentlemen, the LDA is complicated but not impossible to dis-assemble and put back together, I have done this and have had no problems, you will need a lot of patience and a detailed listing of how you took it apart. I have put 400 rounds through mine since I worked on it (just to see how complicated it was).
1hour to get it apart and 3 hours to get it back together. Not for the faint of heart for sure.
Agreed, Someone with a digital camera would have a big advantage by taking pictures as they take the gun apart. this would help a LOT.

Another thing that has caused problems is there has been several revisions of the action along the way.

Newton, Thank you. I would be willing to bet there are others doing work on them, One just changed carrears, Dan Ruff in Ca. And be asured Todd and Larry know how to get to the 2# mark.
geo ><>

· Registered
211 Posts
n2299...I know a few great guys who could work on them for you, but they wouldn't appreciate it if I mentioned them on here. Send me an email, and I'll get one of them to get a hold of you. What do you want to get done?

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

· Registered
819 Posts
I would not cast stones at who is number 1, that little mustached guy in Nebraska does pretty amazing work on Para; no matter the model. FYI its Cylinder & Slide.

EGW probably is the number one pistol plumber when if comes to making Para's into race guns.

· Registered
161 Posts
George did my LDA. SWEEEET! He does an awesome trigger job. Yes, he has a god given gift for making paras run. My three run flawless. Now if I can just get him to learn toaster repair. My toast jams in the morning!

· Premium Member
3,092 Posts
I won't cast any stones either...the guys at cylinder and slide know their stuff...and so does George and his crew..

Originally posted by abnranger:
I would not cast stones at who is number 1, that little mustached guy in Nebraska does pretty amazing work on Para; no matter the model. FYI its Cylinder & Slide.

EGW probably is the number one pistol plumber when if comes to making Para's into race guns.
but what's difference in making a racegun run versus any other gun...except the racegun will run with tighter tolerances, be more accurate and shoot thousands or more rounds.

Just had to ask...

· Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Originally posted by eerw:

but what's difference in making a racegun run versus any other gun...except the racegun will run with tighter tolerances, be more accurate and shoot thousands or more rounds.

Just had to ask...
Just because A shop (read many shops) build guns for guys that shoot over 10k rounds per year, year after year,Making them feed with Hot reloads (some not so well assembled
), eject through smaller window's with scopes in the way, feed with mags that fit up to 27 rounds and do trigger jobs under 2# that last for over 25K rounds What makes you think they can build carry guns?

geo ><>

· Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Originally posted by George Smith:
What makes you think they can build carry guns?

geo ><>
Admitedly not all can build a carry gun, not all can build a game gun..
I think a person or a shop that understands the 1911 or any gun, and can build it to withstand the arena of competition, should be able to build a gun that is serviceable for the street and combat.
I don't believe that just because a shop builds guns for games, cannot build guns for the street. And I challenge those that believe that to disprove it.

[This message has been edited by eerw (edited 09-13-2001).]

· Registered
161 Posts
You guys make me laugh! My racegun feeds, ejects and functions 100%. My carry gun is what I shot IDPA with it does the same. They were all worked by EGW. Anybody that would make a stupid statement that "they only make raceguns not carry guns" really needs to go talk to some of the top shooters. They use these guys to build guns that are 100%. Some make a living off the sport most of us just really hate to lose. I'll take my racegun or IDPA gun with thousands of rounds over some of these carry guns with a few hundred rounds through it any day. Come on guys engage your brain before your mouths.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.