1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been running one of these on my SIG GSR for a year or so, and been extremely impressed with it. Great ergos, and no bounce-back inadvertant slide locking back.

Here's how it looks on the Colt:

Not a perfect color/finish match, but not an aesthetic disaster either. The OEM one was best activated by either the support hand thumb or by breaking your firing grip to access it with your strong-hand thumb (assuming you're right-handed).

The BH SS/RDIH is accessible by both, but it's largest benefit is its accessibility by the strong-hand thumb without needing to break your firing grip.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed, but after using it on my SIG GSR XO 1911 with complete success for over a year in Tier 1 through Tier IV IDPA matches I'm pretty optimistic. It's designed by Leon Hubert, a former lead FN engineer, now formally with BH Spring Solutions. I wish that it incorporated the easy install cut/groove that snaps over the plunger that engages it, but that's not a huge deal, you just have to hold back the plunger tube spring tensioned plunger when installing.

Best, Jon

·
Administrator
79,229 Posts
Not my cup of tea, but if it works for you...

Reactions: 1saxman and mod29

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know, I know-another venture into violating the sanctity and purity of the JMB components. I get that. And I know the the inherent quality of the OEM Colt slide stop is excellent. But this just works mo better....

Best, Jon

·
Administrator
79,229 Posts
Yeah, thanks to you I now gotta go place more .45 ball ammo and spare GI parts on my JMB shrine. :cautious:

• Haha
Reactions: Boge

·
Administrator
79,229 Posts
Hoppes #9 ?!? You heathen! You're supposed to offer cans of the old stinky mil-spec rifle bore cleaner as a sacrifice.
Drink Font Tin Liquid Paint

Seriously though, there have been times when I looked at my mil-spec Colts and wished they were a little better in the ergonomics department. I don't have an issue with the slide stop or thumb safety, but I do get annoyed by the occasional hammer bite. However I just cant bring myself to swap out parts and change their factory appearance. Even changing the grips out triggers my OCD. Therefore I tricked out ONE of my Colts and have left the others alone for the most part.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,130 Posts
I'll have to call, "Can't it look good, too?"
For a Glunk, or maybe even a 2011, it's fine, but on a classic gummint model? No way!

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
I got a '78 Colt that was customized in '80 and it had extended controls - looked like this:
Vertebrate Air gun Green Trigger Gun barrel

Now like this after I found original parts for it. I just have no use for the extended controls.

Wood Rectangle Everyday carry Wood stain Hardwood

·
Administrator
79,229 Posts
I have very short fingers and thumbs, and to be honest I never had any issue releasing the slide stop. Then again I don't shoot competition where microseconds count.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
The only thing missing is an old common sense trick: use the thumb of your left hand to release the slide stop AFTER you have inserted a new mag and when it is right next to it. No need to change your RH grip position. Surely, I can't be that smart!! :D ;)

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Boge, that's exactly what I do too. Easy to practice until its done in one quick motion - the off hand slaps in the mag, continues up, tripping the slide release at the top of the motion, then assuming the grip in the split second that it takes for the pistol to come back to the line of sight.
BTW, I still can't believe how lucky I was to find the exact two parts I needed on ebay at roughly the same time, both genuine Colt from pistols of the same type as mine, polished blue and in perfect used condition. Both fit and function perfectly - in fact, the safety is the most perfect fit I've ever seen on a 1911, by sheer luck. It has more resistance to moving than most, fits close to the frame but doesn't rub and has an extremely solid feel and very audible 'click' into either position. IOW, it ain't coming off 'safe' by casual contact. This pistol will never be 'carried' but I've had others with a very weak safety that you could not trust to stay on in all carry modes.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Yeah, thanks to you I now gotta go place more .45 ball ammo and spare GI parts on my JMB shrine. :cautious:
If just an extended slide stop gets you that spooked, I hate to think what would happen if I broke down and got that camera stuff for my computer so I could post pictures of my combat customized US&S .45 then.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts