1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member has a question about shells' not always ejecting as they should. I have a Herstal FN Hi Power I'm told is of 1952 manufacture. It works fine except that most times (not all) the last shell in the mag doesn't eject after firing. The last round loads, fires, and extracts normally and the slide locks back, but the empty casing remains loose at the ejector port and isn't kicked out. Preceding rounds all load, fire, extract, and eject fine. Does anybody know what is going on here and how I might cure it? Very grateful for any guidance.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. I've seen this occur when the extractor claw tension is not quite tight enough. What happens is when there's still a round in the magazine and a case is extracted, it's riding on top of the magazine's top round on its way back to the ejector. When the extractor claw is a bit loose, the last round fired is extracted buy comes back not so high under the claw when the magazine's empty. It strikes the ejector, but is not thrown clear of the pistol. I have a Hi Power that does this, but it's always on the last round and has never caused a problem. When I drop the magazine, the empty falls out as well.

Best.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gentlemen: Many thanks for your prompt replies. I guess the easiest thing from my point of view is to try a new magazine and if the problem persists, address the extractor adjustment. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts